Head unit water damage

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
saf1

Head unit water damage

Post by saf1 »

Was out of town for a few days and tank was sort of on auto pilot. Looks like something spawned or bacteria and caused the skimmer to go a bit wonky and my reef angel head / controller unit was under it on a ledge. Long story short, water damage. Looks like temp probe area is already corroded and the screen is toast. It still controls lights, dimmer, and pumps oddly enough.

Been a while - but is there a recommended way to take apart and try to clean? I'm afraid the damage is already done based on what I'm seeing on the temp probe connectors. Everything else seems ok. Not a lot of water in all but enough that those at home didn't catch it but at least 1/2 gallon passed over it...
cosmith71

Re: Head unit water damage

Post by cosmith71 »

No way to really 'clean' water damage. You can open the head unit up and look inside and replace parts if you need to. There are only 3 replaceable parts, the main board, the LCD screen, and the joystick.
saf1

Post by saf1 »

Thanks for the tip, will look at that today.

Ty again.
saf1

Post by saf1 »

Temp probe area on head unit is definetly not working. Same with screen - it is shorted out. Rest of the unit seems ok although I was not able to upload a new bit of code. Wireless connectivity and portal functions work.

I'm guessing screen and main board?
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

That's where I'd start.