Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
Civics14

Re: Relay box - ports flickering

Post by Civics14 »

any ideas roberto?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Not sure what it is. Did anything change?
Roberto.
Civics14

Post by Civics14 »

Hi Roberto, I found out what's triggering this. Does the RA dimming module get affected by T5's with electronic ballast? The dimming module is controlling analog drivers for my LEDs.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I could. You should keep cable away from any ballasts. The USB ones especially.
Roberto.
dapg8gt

Post by dapg8gt »

Old bump for my issue.. My expansion hub causes my extra relay box to flicker as well.. The relays will click every few mins to every few hours but constant. It's as far as I can tell not triggered by anything equipment wise . Took me a bit to find out what was going on but it's Def the expansion hub. I don't notice anything with the other add ons other than I would sometimes get reading of 0 in the levels on Reeftronics randomly.

Box is inside a sealed part of my stand away from the sump chamber so Def don't think water damage.. Any troubleshooting tips? What to look for visually inside the expansion? should I try all new usb cables?

As of now I'm not running any of my expansions other than the relay box..
My other hobby has 450rwhp and eats tires instead of mysis!
rimai

Post by rimai »

Are you using the original short USB cables?
Roberto.
dlplunkett44

Post by dlplunkett44 »

dapg8gt, did you get this figured out? This is the exact issue I am having - random flickering on different relays every few seconds to hours. I can't imagine there is water damage where I have it mounted.
Piper

Post by Piper »

I frequently run into this issue as well. Do you have a standard outlet box or the RANet outlet box? Are you using the expansion hub? Here's a few things to try when the flickering starts up again:

* Try re-seating all of your USB cables and try rearranging the cables in the expansion hub if you have one.
* Try unplugging your modules one by one and see if you can isolate the offending module.
* Even as far as eliminating the expansion hub.
* Try unplugging your hardware (pumps/lights) one by one and see if you can find anything there causing the problem.
* Make sure you don't have USB cables running in parallel with power cables.
* Make sure you're using the original USB cables as well. If not, make sure the cables you're using are as short as possible and have a Ferrite magnet choke on them.
* This one is a long shot but do you have more than one version of the Arduino IDE installed?

I've found that I also have to reboot my RA after making some of the changes listed above to get it to stop the flickering. Let me know what you find out. I'm still having the problem even after going through all of the steps above and would like to know what works or doesn't work for you. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed my problem down to the RA head unit itself at this point.

~Charlie
Piper

Post by Piper »

Couple more questions for you: How many relay boxes are you running? If more than one, is the flickering isolated to one box? If so, which one?
dlplunkett44

Post by dlplunkett44 »

So I tried reseating and moving around all of the USB cables. I'm using only the USB cables that came with the system. I currently have an expansion hub with two relay expansion modules, one of the old boxier ones and one newer flatter one. I recently added the newer one but the issues were happening before I added it. I also have a 16 channel dimming expansion. I have not been able to isolate the offending piece yet as I need all of them plugged in to operate my tank. I'm trying to spend more time watching the controller to see if I can see which ones are switching randomly.
I do not have the USB cables running parallel with any power cables but they do cross over. I ordered some ferrite beads but I haven't received them yet.
I'm not sure if it's the same issue or not but I'm also having an issue with random sockets staying on or not turning on when they should, luckly this hasn't happened with the ATO yet, although it scares me thinking about it.
Piper

Post by Piper »

dlplunkett44 wrote: one of the old boxier ones and one newer flatter one. I recently added the newer one but the issues were happening before I added it.
So outlets on both boxes are flickering for you?

dlplunkett44 wrote:I'm not sure if it's the same issue or not but I'm also having an issue with random sockets staying on or not turning on when they should, luckly this hasn't happened with the ATO yet, although it scares me thinking about it.
Yeah, I get that too. I’m concerned about dosing pumps getting stuck on also.

Keep trying to narrow down the module or tank hardware that might be causing the problem.
dlplunkett44

Post by dlplunkett44 »

I'm not sure if it is the new one as well or not. I still have not figured out which ports/box.
dlplunkett44

Post by dlplunkett44 »

So I'm not sure if the flickering is happening to both expansion relay boxes or just one. It doesn't seem to be happening to the main relay (although I'm not 100% sure).

The issue with some relays staying on or not coming on has been happening with the old style relay box - I haven't seen it happen yet with the new style box. When I'm having the issue where a relay should be on but isn’t and I go into the Android app, it shows the relay as off. I can then turn it on using the app, but it shows the icon next to the relay port designating it as under manual control. If I unplug the head unit for a second and plug it back in, everything goes on or off to where it should be.

Thinking that it could be interference from AC lines, I added additional ferrite beads to all USB and serial cables (all have 2 – 3 now, including the built in ones). I added these yesterday evening. This morning I go down and look at my tank and the dimming is messed up on one of the lights – it looks like it dimmed down partially, but then stayed at that level all night instead of dimming to 0. Again, I unplugged the head unit for a second and plugged it back in and this fixed it.

I’m wondering if it is something to do with the expansion hub? Like I said, I don’t think it’s happening to the main relay box, but I am having issues with all of my expansions (2 relay boxes and a 16 channel PWM dimming expansion).

What else can I do to stop this? I have re-uploaded my code several times, I have added ferrite beads to the power, USB-IN and all USB-OUT cables for the expansion hub.
Piper

Post by Piper »

I'm leaning towards A/C power line interference. If I adjust my cables the problem goes away for a while. I haven't gone as far as re-routing my cables yet because it requires me to drill holes in my stand and I'm too lazy to do that at the moment.

Try re-routing your VGA cable and see if that helps at all. Also make sure you don't have have any USB cables running parallel with power cables. If they have to cross at all they should be perpendicular.
dlplunkett44

Post by dlplunkett44 »

I don't have any data cables running parallel with AC lines but they are near them and they do cross over perpendicular. I will work on re-routing cabling to isolate them as much as possible and report back in the coming days. Is there anything I can do to shield the AC cables? metal conduit?
dlplunkett44

Post by dlplunkett44 »

So I have re-routed many of the A/C cables to behind the board that all of the Reef Angel stuff is mounted to. I am still having this issue, so my next course of action to buy some 1/2" or 3/4" metal electrical conduit to place all of the data cables into. I will have the conduit end as close to where the USB cables connect as possible (hopefully an inch max exposed). I will probably do this this weekend and report back here if it solves it or not. If it is EMI, this really should fix it completely.
Piper

Post by Piper »

dlplunkett44 wrote:I will probably do this this weekend and report back here if it solves it or not. If it is EMI, this really should fix it completely.
Let me know what you come up with. I never thought about running conduit. It will be interesting to know if this actually solves the problem.

~Charlie
riggeek

Post by riggeek »

Any luck with the Conduit?

My biggest power consumer is the mag 12 return pump. I have seen a buss lock when it was plugged back in from a sock filter change.
riggeek

dlplunkett44

Post by dlplunkett44 »

I haven't been able to try the conduit yet. It sounded like a perfect solution to eliminate any EMI that may be getting to the USB and DC power cables. The difficulty is that the cables need to snake a lot to connect everything and rigid EMI pipes do not easily do this.

My alternative plan (before giving up on RA and moving to another platform - probably GHL):

Currently I have the RA hardware attached to a PVC sheet that is attached to the inside of my stand. There is a decently sized area behind the PVC sheet that allows me to hide excess wires. This however means that there are live AC wires just on the other side of where the RA hardware is mounted.
My plan is four fold:
1. Attch a steel plate on top of the PVC sheet and mount the RA hardware to this. This will stop any EMI from passing through the back side of the RA hardware.
2. Reduce the size of all AC cables if possible and coil up the ones that I can't into as small an area as possible.
3. I found some copper tape that has a conductive adhesive. It is often used for EMI protection. I'm going to wrap all DC and USB cables with this.
4. I will finally take an aquarium grounding probe and cut off the titanium probe. I will then tie this to each copper taped cable and to the steel plate to provide an easy path to ground for everything.

If there is anything else that anyone can think of that would be relatively inexpensive and relatively easy to implement, please add here. I'll be doing this this coming weekend.

Thanks!
dlplunkett44

Post by dlplunkett44 »

So I have made some progress with figuring out what is going on.

So far I have worked on replacing all AC and USB cables with shorter cables. I have also tried to separate them as much as possible. This has reduced the amount of flickering although I am still experiencing it some.

Another issue that I have been having is that sometimes the relays on my newest box do not respond when they should. They will either stay on when they should have shut off or stay off when they should have turned on. I think this is an issue with the relay box itself. It is one of the new style boxes. I've always noticed that the USB cable going into it has been very loose. I tried replacing the cable but it was also loose. Upon closer inspection I saw that the plastic housing was preventing the USB cable from fully seating. I opened the box so that I could make the hole in the housing larger. This allowed it to fully seat however it was still very loose and a slight bump would remove the cable. So finally I made a sight bend in the USB port and this allowed the cable to be firmly seated. I did this last night and thought this would fix the problems with this relay box, but I woke up this morning and none of the relays on the box were on (1-4 should have been). Has this been seen before? Can I get a replacement box?

Thanks.
dlplunkett44

Post by dlplunkett44 »

I have attached an image of the modified USB port and housing.
Attachments
Modified USB port
Modified USB port
IMG_20180517_055248.jpg (681.43 KiB) Viewed 11797 times
rimai

Post by rimai »

That sounds like a bus lock.
Does it show bus lock on the status screen of the controller?
It would also make the red led blink on the head unit.
Roberto.
dlplunkett44

Post by dlplunkett44 »

No, it doesn't have a red blinking LED on the controller. The screen also looks normal - no notification of bus lock.

I also forgot to mention in my previous post that I have a 2nd RA+ and have swapped the controller as well, but there was no change when I did that.
dlplunkett44

Post by dlplunkett44 »

I came down this morning and the outlets were on correctly, but the dimming expansion was not working at all but as soon as I unplugged and re-plugged in the controller, everything is fine again.....
dlplunkett44

Post by dlplunkett44 »

Can there be a bus lock without the controller flagging it and having the red blinking light?
rimai

Post by rimai »

No. Could it be the hub?
Did you try different ports?
Roberto.
dlplunkett44

Post by dlplunkett44 »

I have tried several different ports on the hub. I just wrapped the USB cables in copper tape and plugged them into new ports on the hub. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow morning.
Piper

Post by Piper »

dlplunkett44 wrote:I have tried several different ports on the hub. I just wrapped the USB cables in copper tape and plugged them into new ports on the hub. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow morning.
Any updates? My relay box started acting up again last week. Almost identical symptoms to yours. No bus lock light, relays flicker, and some relays get stuck. The strange part is it only seems to happen in the evening to early morning. I leave for work at 5:00 AM and I can hear the relays on box two flickering. By the time the lights come on at 10:30 AM it's all back to normal. Around 8:30 PM it all starts up again.
dlplunkett44

Post by dlplunkett44 »

I finished adding the steel sheet behind the controller and low voltage stuff. I've also added copper EMI shielding tape around all USB and DC cables. In addition, I've taken my newest relay box off as well. I currently have an expansion hub plugged into the main relay box, then one additional relay box and a 16 channel dimming expansion plugged into the expansion hub. I'm still having issues both with relays not coming on correctly as well as dimming being messed up until I unplug and replug-in the controller.
At this point I'm working on moving everything over to a Reef Pi setup. Its a little more DIY in some aspects, but it is also a lot more capable. I suggest looking into it...
Piper

Post by Piper »

Bummer. Not what I was hoping to hear :/