Return pump interfering with float switch locking up RA

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
grafxalien

Return pump interfering with float switch locking up RA

Post by grafxalien »

I recently upgraded my tank/sump and have ran in to an odd problem with my reefangel. My new sump requires that my float switches are closer to my return pump than my old sump. I think it is causing magnetic interference with the switches causing them to occasionally cycle on and off rapidly. When it happened I can hear the relay click on and off. The whole RA unit locks up and the screen goes blank. I have the switches as far from the pump as possible, so it happens less now, but still a few times a week. Any idea if there is a way to code something to prevent this? Or different float switches that I could use that won't be effected by the pump?
cosmith71

Re: Return pump interfering with float switch locking up RA

Post by cosmith71 »

How are your float switches arranged?

I doubt it's the pump causing the problem. It's more likely either waves in the sump or a bad switch.
grafxalien

Post by grafxalien »

They are in the standard ato configuration with wires up on one and wires down on the other. The return chamber is very calm so I don't think it's waves. Guess I could buy some new switches. Just think it's odd that it happens more often the closer they are to the pump
bmhair03

Post by bmhair03 »

I'm having the same issue. Switch anywhere in sump cabinet you hear random toggle. Even out of the water When I remove switch from cabinet and set it on the ground it's fine. Switch is 4 hrs old. Old switch was doing the same that's why I bought new ones. I had to change my code to add power expansion but changed nothing else. Problem seemed to start right after upload. Also not a water movement issue. No port on display shows going off and on. But could be to quick for display change. No kiss of death light either. (Red light) Thank you.
bmhair03

Post by bmhair03 »

Prior to changing code the float switch had worked for years. Now seems ok until it touches system water. Display or sump.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Does sound like a bad swithc. Can you try your old code?
bmhair03

Post by bmhair03 »

Thanks for the reply. No I don't have old code. Computer crashed and used wizard and my notes to recreate. I have tried 3 switches. 2 I just received today from ReefAngel. I'm running out of ideas. Has there been any library changes to ATO that could explain? Over last 2 yrs? It had been running smoothly for years. Made new code to add power expansion and 2 standard fan lines for control. Thanks.
bmhair03

Post by bmhair03 »

Ok. I know this is going to sound funny but if I put the float switch near my cheap T5 fixture it does the same rapid relay toggle. ? So is it possible to shield the ATO cable ,circuit? Any ideas. Thanks.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

You might be having stray voltage in the tank. I'm not sure on the shielding bit. Might be better getting a waterlevel sensor and using the switch ports for something else. Or you can try and debug this as a stray voltage issue...
bmhair03

Post by bmhair03 »

I do believe it's stray something. But like I stated I can duplicate the issue out of the water. Just putting it by my cheap T5 ballast. So my thought is since it's a magnetic switch ,like the OP suggested is it electro magnetic? I'm sure my cheap ballasts are pumping that out. Moving switch 24 inches away from tank and ATO is completely solid. Does adding the extra module put me at a high risk of interference ? All my USB have that round thing On the cable. And use only short length cables. The ones supplied. Is it really just a bus issue? Again
Thank you for your input and replies.
bmhair03

Post by bmhair03 »

And buying more modules right now is not going to happen. Just had to replace 2 failed modules and added one new one one that seems to have made my ATO not function. I guess tomorrow I will start unplugging stuff to test the bus theory.I sure hope it doesn't prove out.
grafxalien

Post by grafxalien »

i just hooked up my new float switches today. will see if its any better in a day or two
bmhair03

Post by bmhair03 »

I add a Ferrit bead to my pump cord and ballast cord and problem Has stopped. I'll update in a day.
Still had issue. Moved bead to ATO lead. It stopped instantly. We'll see.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Awesome
bmhair03

Post by bmhair03 »

Yes I am very happy. Hasn't acted up in 24hrs. Thanks for your help.I had to order another Ferrit bead because I borrowed one found my wifi subwoofer. i ordered 5 and plan to put one on every cord that enters the water. At $2 apiece cheap insurance.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

good point
grafxalien

Post by grafxalien »

my RA hasn't locked up since replacing float switches, must have been them slowing failing