Communication cable

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
rickztahone

Communication cable

Post by rickztahone »

Good morning all,

Just a quick question, would not using the factory communication cause for certain power ports/receptacles to not function correctly?

I ask because I bought a used RA and I did not test it out immediately or thoroughly. When I did decide to test it out thoroughly, I noticed that the factory communication cable had a bent pin. I tried to fix it but failed. I realized I had an old computer communication cable lying around and I used that instead.

Now only 3 power receptacles work, the others do not. I want to eliminate the communication cord being the problem before I shell out money for a new relay box which I believed to be fully functioning before.

Does the communication cable sold here (HDDB15 Communication Cable) differ from your regular generic one you would find with a regular computer? Please advise.

Thank you.
rimai

Re: Communication cable

Post by rimai »

Nothing different, but most cables sold at stores don't have all 15 wires connected. They short some and disconnect most to save on costs.
If you buy them from the store, make sure that they have all 15 pins connected.
Roberto.
rickztahone

Post by rickztahone »

rimai wrote:Nothing different, but most cables sold at stores don't have all 15 wires connected. They short some and disconnect most to save on costs.
If you buy them from the store, make sure that they have all 15 pins connected.
When I found the cable in my drawer, I made sure that all pins matched and they did. Same amount of pins. That was the extent of me checking for similarities however.
rimai

Post by rimai »

yeah, most likely not all pins are connected.
If you check continuity on each pin, you will see that.
Roberto.