Maxspect Gyre xf230 speeds

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
binder

Maxspect Gyre xf230 speeds

Post by binder »

Those of you who have the maxspect gyres connected to the ra with the Icecap Module, what are the ranges of speeds that you use?

I have been testing mine out and I can go between ~47% and 100%.
If I go lower than the 47%, my pump makes a noise as it turns the impeller then it stops and waits and resets itself. I know the icecap module cannot go below 20% according to coralvue.

I was just asking because I wanted to get a good idea of how to fully control my gyre pump. Is it possible that I am using the wrong dimming port? Like using a PWM port and not an analog port (or vice versa)? Sorry, I'm new to the whole dimming port controlling pumps and all and do not fully understand the differences between PWM and analog. I know pieces but those connections haven't been made in my brain yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MisterTang

Re: Maxspect Gyre xf230 speeds

Post by MisterTang »

No experience with the Maxspect, but with the Jebao, it will "sort of" work if you have it on the wrong setting (PWM vs Analog) but is kinda screwy. Are you sure that it's not expecting a different input?

Is there a little electronic control box that comes with the MaxSpect? Have you measured that for voltage at like 30% and then measured what's coming off the dimming ports at 30%?
binder

Post by binder »

MisterTang wrote:No experience with the Maxspect, but with the Jebao, it will "sort of" work if you have it on the wrong setting (PWM vs Analog) but is kinda screwy. Are you sure that it's not expecting a different input?

Is there a little electronic control box that comes with the MaxSpect? Have you measured that for voltage at like 30% and then measured what's coming off the dimming ports at 30%?
I have measured the voltage somewhat. I honestly am not sure if my dimming ports are PWM or Analog. I don't recall which ones I got since it's been several years (probably 5 or 6 years ago).

Now that I know my pump works, I need to get my multimeter out and measure the voltage coming off of the dimming port. I had been focused on the right signal on the correct wires when making my own cable that I didn't pay attention to the voltage values.

This is probably a dumb question but what values should be emitted?
PWM : 0 to 10v
Analog : 0 to 5v

Is that correct or are the ranges supposed to be different?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
MisterTang

Post by MisterTang »

According to the Amazon page for the IceCap Interface Module, it's looking for a 0-10v signal. It's also Apex ready, so whatever signal the Apex system uses (PWM vs Analog, not sure) is your best bet. If I were to guess, it's probably looking for PWM, but don't take that as gospel and fry your expensive wavemaker :lol:

If you're currently outputting a 5v signal, that could possibly be why you're having to crank it up that high to see any movement?

Also, if you have your receipt in your e-mail for your Reef Angel, it'll tell you whether you got the PWM or analog dimmer onboard. I have to occasionally reference mine after the nine months go by and I forget and want to try something new.
binder

Post by binder »

yeah, i know what signal it's supposed to be getting.
as far as the reefangel goes... i don't have specific receipts. I have to open it up to check for certain.

I haven't fried it yet and I have been putting various signals to it. I just have to test it more and talk to Roberto a little bit about which dimming cables I need to use. I have some that have what looks like a resistor soldered inline with the positive and some that do not.

thanks for the input. it's given me some ideas.

binder

Post by binder »

Ok. I did some further testing. It appears I have an analog dimming output (like Roberto mentioned in another post). I tested the voltage coming out of the cable going into the Icecap Module. at 100%, I get just shy of 10V. As I step down the percentages, I get less voltage just like expected. So at 50%, I get something like 4.6-4.9V. So I'm not sure why I can only dim down to just under 50%. It's possible that because of how we calculate the percentage and send the voltage, it differs than what Apex does? I dunno. Anyways, any input from you guys would be appreciated.

thanks
rimai

Post by rimai »

Both PWM and analog would show the same thing on the meter. :(
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

rimai wrote:Both PWM and analog would show the same thing on the meter. :(
ok. good to know.

also, I have made 2 different cables. one that has a resistor in it (i think) that i was using for my leds and one that does not. both cables output the same voltage (tested with my multimeter) however the cable without the resistor is the only one that works with my RA. I'm a little confused about that.

maybe my icecap module is defective or different than the older modules? maybe something different goes on with the 2nd gen models? I should probably email coralvue and ask them what they think since they have tested it with an RA.

now I'm going to try to wire up a cable for alternating mode.... maybe that will work different.

MisterTang

Post by MisterTang »

To echo what Roberto said, the only way to determine output of analog vs PWM from the terminals is with an oscilloscope. A PWM output will look like a boxy on-off while an analog will be a straight line.
binder

Post by binder »

MisterTang wrote:
To echo what Roberto said, the only way to determine output of analog vs PWM from the terminals is with an oscilloscope. A PWM output will look like a boxy on-off while an analog will be a straight line.
good to know. thanks. i don't own an oscilloscope, so i cannot check that.

:) although, i could buy this and be able to test it: http://a.co/bZfAREi
binder

Post by binder »

as a side note, I started a dialog with coralvue about the icecap module. after doing a few things with them to test, they are sending me a replacement module. so hopefully that will be the solution to my speed percentage. we shall see.