Mixing RA and RA+

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
tngo

Mixing RA and RA+

Post by tngo »

I apologize if this topic has been posted before, searched but couldn't fine any definite answers. I have both the RA standard and RA+ and was wondering if I could use the same platform/laptop to upload code to. Do the libraries for the RA and RA+ differ due to differences in memory? Or is the limitation just on how many functions I load.

Thanks.
binder

Re: Mixing RA and RA+

Post by binder »

you can use the same laptop for both. the libraries are the same except certain features get turned on/off based on the controller. you will have to switch the device inside arduino when building it otherwise there will be errors communicating.

one problem though is that the standard ra can only really load version 1.04 (maybe a little later but not certain). the size of the libraries were just too big to continue to fit on the standard ra.

having multiple versions of the libraries installed on your computer can be done, however it is a little tricky. i used to do it all the time when i was developing more. i can explain this part more in depth if you would like me to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tngo

Post by tngo »

Hi binder,

Yes please explain, if you don't mind writing it up. No hurries as I have to get the 2nd tank ready before moving the second unit over in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Tim
binder

Post by binder »

sure thing. it's not a problem at all.

what os are you using? mac, windows, Linux?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
tngo

Post by tngo »

Windows.
binder

Post by binder »

The libraries are stored in your Documents folder under the arduino folder. In order to have multiple versions of the libraries installed and using, you must create multiple folders for the versions and switch back and forth between them when you want to use them.

For this example, we will use the latest version of the libraries for the RA+ and then version 1.0.4 for the standard RA (I forget what the latest version that the standard RA can run). I am assuming that you already have the latest libraries installed on your computer, if not, update them using the arduino app.
  • You will need to download the version 1.0.4 from the github repository. (https://github.com/reefangel/Libraries/ ... v1.0.4.zip)
  • Unzip the file in a temporary folder (like your downloads folder). That will create a folder called Libraries-1.0.4.
  • Rename that folder to libraries-1.0.4 (change the uppercase L to a lowercase l).
  • Move that Libraries-1.0.4 folder to the Documents/arduino folder. You will now have a libraries folder and a libraries-1.0.4 folder.
Now you have 2 versions of the libraries installed on your computer.

To switch between the different versions of the libraries, you must make sure that the Arduino app is closed before you attempt to switch versions. You will need to rename the version you are using to its full name and then the version you want to use to just libraries.

Example:
You are currently on the latest 1.1.3 and want to switch to 1.0.4.
  • You will exit out of the Arduino app.
  • Rename 'libraries' to 'libraries-1.1.3'.
  • Rename 'libraries-1.0.4' to 'libraries'
  • Start Arduino app
You are now running version 1.0.4 of the libraries.
NOTE: The arduino app automatically checks for the latest version of the libraries and prompts you to update them. If you are running version 1.0.4, make sure you do not update them to the latest. Otherwise, you will just need to re-download the version 1.0.4 and repeat the steps listed above.

To switch back to the latest version 1.1.3, you will just do this:
  • Exit the Arduino app
  • Rename 'libraries' to 'libraries-1.0.4'
  • Rename 'libraries-1.1.3' to 'libraries'
  • Start Aduino app
You are good to go now for switching between library versions. You could do this for multiple versions of the libraries if you wanted.

If you forget which version of the libraries you are currently setup to use, just goto the "Tools-->Reef Angel Libraries Version" menu and it will display the version in the output window.

The only thing I will also add, since you have a RA and a RA+, is you will want to choose the proper Controller from the "Tools-->Board" menu. Otherwise, you will not be able to connect to the one of the controllers.

All of your sketches will be available no matter what version you are running of the libraries.

It's pretty straightforward. Have fun!! :ugeek:
tngo

Post by tngo »

Hi Curt,

Thanks for taking time to write the detailed instructions. I will give it a spin this weekend.

Tim