Reef Angel Star Controller

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
Sacohen

Re: Reef Angel Star Controller

Post by Sacohen »

Ok.
And the RANet and Relay work fine with it too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rimai

Post by rimai »

RANet works fine, but the main relay box will need one of the old relay modules, since RA* only has expansion ports.
Roberto.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

rimai wrote:RANet works fine, but the main relay box will need one of the old relay modules, since RA* only has expansion ports.
The $50 ones that you don't have in stock yet?

That you are talking about here...
rimai wrote: In order to use your main relay box as expansion, you need one of the old relay expansion modules, which we are in the process of getting them built to sell in the web store.
They cost $50.
We only have one of them in stock before we get the next batch.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, those ones. I have a few on hand
Roberto.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Ok.
I have to get the money together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naptalene

Post by Naptalene »

Me too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Believe it or not.... I can ask even stupider questions than this one.
tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

rimai wrote:If you use the webwizard, simply add this to setup():

Code: Select all

ReefAngel.AddExtraTempProbes();
Cool, does it just use the extra inputs?
rimai

Post by rimai »

No, you have to splice more probes in parallel to the existing ones or create your harness that has more connectors or get something like this from amazon or any other electronic store.
They are y-split cables for computer fans.
y split.jpg
y split.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 12373 times
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DRE2UAI/re ... 0599452956
Roberto.
tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

How far away can the expansion relay sockets be from the head unit?

Here is what I would like to do...

600gal display needs a relay box and vortech control(already have) ~35 ft from controller.

Sump room needs...
2 to 3 relay boxes
11 temp probes
Orp (already have)
Sg (already have)
PHx2

I already have an expansion module. Do I need anything else to make this work?

Would like to flush a large touch screen pc or tablet into the wall to use for continuous portal display. How customizable is the portal these days?

I was going to go with a plc to control all my lights and use my existing RA+ for monitoring but like the idea of a hardwire so am considering making the jump.

What issues do you see?
rimai

Post by rimai »

I think your best bet is to use the RANet.
It's an RF wireless option that allows you to control the relay expansion box without the USB connection.
Simply power it and it will pick up signal from the head unit.
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4763
Roberto.
tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

What about the vortech rf control at the display? Seems like I would already have to run a cable up there.

Interesting thing about RANet... I work with one of the people who came up with zigbee.
tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

Any thoughts on this? What would it take to get the Vortech RF module 30 or so feet from the head unit?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Not sure how to do this. We are not even selling RF modules anymore.
They are very closed about their protocol and no help was ever provided. So, we decided not to carry those anymore.
Roberto.
tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

I still have one so hopefully it will work. Since I already have a plus I may use it to develop my new setup and switch over to the Star once I am ready and confident I have it all working. At that point I can just use the Plus for the display to control the lighting and the vortechs. I like the idea of having a hardwired controller. The Wifi module was always flaky for me. Though, that could have been routing issues, i've since moved on to Ubiquiti network hardware which was a massive upgrade in stability.
akkord64

Post by akkord64 »

Can the eagle files be uploaded to the website for the star as well as the other missing modules? Looking forward to reviewing them. Thanks!
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

tkeracer619 wrote:I still have one so hopefully it will work. Since I already have a plus I may use it to develop my new setup and switch over to the Star once I am ready and confident I have it all working. At that point I can just use the Plus for the display to control the lighting and the vortechs. I like the idea of having a hardwired controller. The Wifi module was always flaky for me. Though, that could have been routing issues, i've since moved on to Ubiquiti network hardware which was a massive upgrade in stability.
The RF module still works with my MP40WQD. One thing to note though is that for the QD I had to sync first with the older driver then switch the wireless module back to the QD. The sync software did not trigger anything on the newer driver. Once it was sync'd though, it works great.
tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

lnevo wrote:
tkeracer619 wrote:I still have one so hopefully it will work. Since I already have a plus I may use it to develop my new setup and switch over to the Star once I am ready and confident I have it all working. At that point I can just use the Plus for the display to control the lighting and the vortechs. I like the idea of having a hardwired controller. The Wifi module was always flaky for me. Though, that could have been routing issues, i've since moved on to Ubiquiti network hardware which was a massive upgrade in stability.
The RF module still works with my MP40WQD. One thing to note though is that for the QD I had to sync first with the older driver then switch the wireless module back to the QD. The sync software did not trigger anything on the newer driver. Once it was sync'd though, it works great.
Good tip!