Questions WRT RA*

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware
Naptalene

Questions WRT RA*

Post by Naptalene »

Hi,

I see that the RA* is the current model and would love to eventually migrate onto it, but have the following questions about it.

1. It would seem that you don't need any sort of Cloud or WiFi expansion. It comes with it standard. Am I correct?
2. Are the existing expansions going to change/not be compatible in any way?
3. Is there a marked difference between the RA* relay box and the older ones?
4. Will it be possible to buy just the RA* head unit to swop out the RA+ down the road?

The reason i ask is.....I have my original RA+ with wifi attachment bought new. I just got a second-hand system with expansion hubs, wifi, dimming module and salinity expansion. This is for my new build. I want to eventually combine both systems with both relay boxes and have more expansions (IO expansion in particular)

I am on a budget and it makes sense to buy any expansions slowly and eventually replace the head unit. Will I be able to buy just the RA* head unit to replace the RA+ and still use my relay's etc? Is this a valid upgrade path for the foreseeable future?

Thanks
Believe it or not.... I can ask even stupider questions than this one.
rimai

Re: Questions WRT RA*

Post by rimai »

You can use all expansion modules on either controller.
RA* does have cloud capability built-in.
The way to use the main relay box from RA+ is to turn into an expansion relay box. You would need relay expansion module that is not on the webstore yet. I'm working on getting them manufactured but have a couple in stock.
We also do not currently have RA* head units for sale, but it will be there eventually.
I am still working with the manufacturer.
But to wrap up on your concern, everything that could be used on RA+ can also be used on RA* one way or another.
Roberto.
Naptalene

Re: Questions WRT RA*

Post by Naptalene »

great, I figured that would be the case, but always better yo check :)
Believe it or not.... I can ask even stupider questions than this one.