aquastyle online diy led's

Basic / Standard Reef Angel hardware

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:42 pm
anyone using the reefangel with a aquastyle diy led kit? does sunset/sunrise work well?

Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:01 am
Hi,

Just taken a look at their site as I will be building my own LED System. I am looking at the 72 LED package, great value by the looks!

I noticed that with all their kits you have a choice of drivers, Maxwllen or Meanwell. I do know that Meanwell dimable drivers work ok with RA if that is any help. Not sure about the Maxwellen. Should I buy their kit I will get the Meanwell drivers.

If you decide to go that route please feel free to PM me on how things work out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:23 am
i am also planning to buy 72 led dimmable kit. from the research i made the meanwell drivers they are offering with the kit will work on both pwm & analog version.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:52 pm
I have just gone live today with their kit, and all is looking good!

The order took nine days from Hong Kong to Toronto. Which I thought was very good. I had exchanged a few emails with their contact Ray, who was very helpfull on advising how manyLEDs to use.

I have a Red Sea Max 250 (65 gal.) and have replaced 240 watts of VHO T5 with my DIY 56 x 3w Bridgelux LEDs on two 15x4.5" heat sinks in the stock hood. I have used MeanWell LPF-60D-48 drivers as they work with both analog and Pwm, as well as a resistor pot, which I used for testing while building.

As I am moving soon I dont have a lot of time, so built just a two channel setup, two strings of 14 LEDs in parallel per driver. After I have moved I may rebuild using four or more channels so I can have a better mix.

At present I am running at 75% max to allow the stock to acclimatize to the change of light.

Only running sun rise sunset at the moment, not sure if it is worth doing cloud effect on two channels. If anyone has done so I would like to hear comments, and also code used.

So far a big PLUS for Aquastyle. :D
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:23 pm
Sounds great! I've tried getting some info on DIY led builds and as soon as you say that you're not going to be using the Cree LED's the flow of information stops, haha.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:08 am
I have been in Electronics and IT for over 40 years, and believe I have a good understanding of the component issues.

Cree's are the top end with top price, the Rolls Royce of LEDs. Yes Cree's give out according to their spec sheets a higher performance than Bridgelux. But unless you have high level test equipment the differences are minimal related to the cost advantage of Bridgelux.

MPO is that there is a lot of hype, and some people have been swept along with the tide for lack of basic understanding. no flames please ;)

I added and extra 8 LEDs more than what I would have used with Cree's. At $2.00 per led it cost only just over the price of one Cree. Ok the power usage is a little bit higher with Bridgelux, but in the over all cost of the hobby it is nothing. I am still making a huge saving in energy over the 240 watts of T5 VHO I was using.

I cannot afford a Rolls Royce, but I can afford a Mercedes Benz :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:00 am
Sebyte wrote:I have been in Electronics and IT for over 40 years, and believe I have a good understanding of the component issues.

Cree's are the top end with top price, the Rolls Royce of LEDs. Yes Cree's give out according to their spec sheets a higher performance than Bridgelux. But unless you have high level test equipment the differences are minimal related to the cost advantage of Bridgelux.

MPO is that there is a lot of hype, and some people have been swept along with the tide for lack of basic understanding. no flames please ;)

I added and extra 8 LEDs more than what I would have used with Cree's. At $2.00 per led it cost only just over the price of one Cree. Ok the power usage is a little bit higher with Bridgelux, but in the over all cost of the hobby it is nothing. I am still making a huge saving in energy over the 240 watts of T5 VHO I was using.

I cannot afford a Rolls Royce, but I can afford a Mercedes Benz :P

+1. I think corals are still not that smart to differenciate between cree & bridgelux leds :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:48 am
I have then to and everything in my tank is doing fine, by the way, have any one control the maxwellen drivers??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:29 pm
Thanks for the additional boost to my confidence in the Bridgelux LED's Steve!

I just got mine this morning in the mail, very fast shipping. I ordered 50 (I'm only using 48) and they included 2 extra LED's and a LED tester.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:29 pm
In your other post you say that you have : 2 x Meanwell ELN-60-48p. I went for the LPF version as they don't have the internal pot and are self adjusting, also they work with analogue and PWM. For the extra $10 I thought they were a better choice.
Next

Return to Standard