Controller IP address

Related to the Portal
binder

Controller IP address

Post by binder »

on the portal, the ip address that most recently updated data is stored. is there a way to retrieve that ip address from the portal?

what i am thinking of doing is having a way to grab the ip address from the portal of the last updated ip address to help with the configuration. this way if there was an error communicating, i can prompt the user to get the last address from the portal and try to use that. it seems like a lot of people use the portal and my android app in conjunction and this could help out. it could also decrease the need to use a dynamic dns name for their host. it could also be configured to check daily for host ip address changes from the portal.

what do you think about this? I can see some possible security issues with this but no worse than what we already have.
ideally, it would be a single command and response instead of mixed with other xml data.
maybe a "host.aspx?id=ID" (or however the others do it) and have jt return the xml: <ip>111.222.333.444</ip> or wrapped in another header. (not at my computer to confirm how the existing request and response works)
rimai

Re: Controller IP address

Post by rimai »

I already created that for Dave :)
Let me dig it up.
Roberto.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I sent you an email.
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

rimai wrote:I sent you an email.
awesome! thanks :-)
kirkwood

Post by kirkwood »

I like the idea. I actually dealt with this issue today. I woke up this morning and the droid app was timing out. I go to the laptop and check the external IP and somehow it changed over night. Don't know why, I didn't have a power outage. So I updated the external IP on the droid app. When I went to the portal a couple hours later it had automatically updated with the new external IP. Is that something new you did Binder?

I'm heading out of town soon so it is critical to me to make sure I don't run into this problem while away. Wasn't sure if I still need to go the DNS route or if Binder has solved this one.
binder

Post by binder »

No, I have not added this to the android app yet. The portal automatically updates with the latest IP address that it receives data from. So the portal should theoretically have the most recent / up-to-date IP address.

I have not had an opportunity to implement this functionality to the android app yet because of a few other things that I am working on. I will post when I get this type of functionality implemented.