Alternate Portal

Related to the Portal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:12 pm
I don't think this topic has been mentioned or discussed much, but I've started working on an alternative to the reef angel portal. What I mean by that is simply a separate portal that the controller can send data to instead of reefangel.com.

I'm creating it using LASP (linux, apache, sqlite3, php) with the intent that it can be run from a raspberry pi or your own custom webserver. It should be able to run on just about any server as long as you can run PHP and Sqlite3 on the server. I could have chosen MySQL but I wanted to go with something lightweight and easily backed up. With sqlite3, it's a flat file to backup and everything is "saved". For those who don't know, sqlite3 is what Android uses for its databases.

There will be some configuration changes on the wifi device and inside the libraries in order for this to work properly. You have to tell the wifi module to use your own hostname and then update the libraries to reference the PHP scripts instead of the ASPX scripts. I'm planning on making this a "feature" that you can enable inside your INO file to turn on the PHP code requests instead of the ASPX requests. Then, like I said, the only thing left to do would be to configure the wifi module.

Currently, there is not a fancy frontend interface for it. It's rudimentary with the main functionality of allowing you to have your controllers update a local database server and allow you to have multiple controllers update the "portal" easily without having to have separate logins (like what is needed for the main portal).

It's still in its infancy. Once I get things working properly, maybe I can see if I can "borrow" lnevo's interface on his portal and create a nice installer script or package to download and unzip to be run. I am also going to add the ability for the Android App to connect to it as well.

I just wanted to put this out there to get feedback from people and see if there's much interest at all in this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:18 pm
Cool!!
Roberto.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:27 pm
Very cool. Feel free to borrow..my code needs some work for sure :) i'll try and help any deciphering :) i need to fix the graphs on the desktop/tablet version badly
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:32 pm
awesome. thanks.
yeah, my main goal, like I said, is to get it receiving data first. then adding an interface to it. so your code could get some work as well.
who knows, this could even turn into a potential "marketable" device being sold in the store....custom raspberry pi reef angel server. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:45 pm
I would be happy to help with this if you're wanting to collaborate. For the frontend I have a lot of experience with ExtJS (Sencha.com) javascript framework that can do some nice graphs and provides a really nice frontend experience. I also do a lot of work with symfony MVC framework using the propel ORM that supports most any database available including sqlite.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:52 pm
KRavEN wrote:I would be happy to help with this if you're wanting to collaborate. For the frontend I have a lot of experience with ExtJS (Sencha.com) javascript framework that can do some nice graphs and provides a really nice frontend experience. I also do a lot of work with symfony MVC framework using the propel ORM that supports most any database available including sqlite.

great. I'm all for collaborating on making something like this. Let me get the backend working properly with receiving data and sending data to those that request it.

once i get that going, i'll be ready for collaboration with the frontend. it may take me several more days to a week or so before I have a good functioning backend (who knows for sure). it largely depends on my day job schedule.
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:58 pm
Sounds good. My day job is php and javascript so if you run into any problems feel free to hit me up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:40 pm
This sounds amazing! :D
Feel free to give me a yell if you need any testing or what not. I work in IT so I can contribute something's (but nothing as complex as the above posters. :p)
I'm also fairly fluent in C# and I'm willing to learn new languages/things so feel free to let me help by doing tedious things if need be. :p
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:52 pm
If the display ever became an android device would it be able to run on that? Just throwing that up in the air. Kraven have you looked at my code? I would love to get some bettet php/js eyes on it...that cared about RA..my brother has so much patience for my fish tank project..

It's a fully function site/html5 cached webapp...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:26 pm
lnevo wrote:If the display ever became an android device would it be able to run on that? Just throwing that up in the air. Kraven have you looked at my code? I would love to get some bettet php/js eyes on it...that cared about RA..my brother has so much patience for my fish tank project..

It's a fully function site/html5 cached webapp...

Haven't looked yet but I will. :)

The other benefit of using ExtJS and sencha is that they also have Sencha Touch which is a cross platform API for phone interfaces. From what I've read it's not too difficult to take an ExtJS website and add Sencha Touch to it.
Next

Return to Portal