Issues at no-ip.com?

Related to the Portal
lnevo

Issues at no-ip.com?

Post by lnevo »

I received this email from reeftronics today...
Due to an issue outside my control which affects a large number of Reeftronics members, I am sending this broadcast email, as it’s the most expedient way to get important news to the affected members. If you do not use dynamic DNS services from No-IP.com, you can simply disregard this message.

If you do use No-IP.com:

This morning Reeftronics began experiencing communications failures with large numbers of members’ controllers. I investigated, and saw a commonality – almost of all of the failures were with controllers using no-ip.com’s dynamic DNS service. I checked no-ip’s Twitter feed, and found tweets acknowledging that they were having technical issues. I wanted to send out an email to all affected members earlier, but had to travel to a client site and attend meetings. As soon as I could, I delved more, and found out that the issue with No-IP is not a just technical issue – they were essentially shut down by court order. More info about this can be found here: http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/06 ... p-domains/

Many of you received notifications from the Reeftronics server…. If you use no-ip, this is because your dynamic DNS hostname is no longer working. At this point in time, it’s unknown how long no-ip might be offline, or even if they will ever be back. I’ll continue to monitor the situation.

In the meantime – if you are using a no-ip hostname, you have two options:

1. Utilize another DDNS service. This sticky post on the Neptune System Community Forum discusses some alternatives. http://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthr ... ynamic-DNS. Digital Aquatics and ReefAngel controller owners – the info in that sticky applies to everyone, not just Apex owners.
2. Let me know what your current public IP address is, and I will update your profile to use that instead of your hostname. Visit http://www.reeftronics.net/myip.php to quickly see your public IP address.
Until I hear otherwise, I'll keep this thread posted.
rimai

Re: Issues at no-ip.com?

Post by rimai »

Such a bummer :(
Roberto.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Interesting. Mine's working fine.

--Colin
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Could be cached still and/or maybe not all users are affected. I did see some confirmations from others experiencing this...
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

binder

Post by binder »

yup, it sucks. it is not affecting all domains. I have 2 with no-ip.info and they still work but the one with no-ip.org does not.

rather frustrating.

Sent from my Moto X
binder

Post by binder »

just an update....apparently my no-ip.info domains are not working now as well. annoying.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Similar to the the blog post now has some workarounds available but you have to change to a different domain.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

My no-ip.net is still working. Knock on wood.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

No-ip is working again.

I got an e=mail from Russ earlier and my account with Reeftronics is up again.
binder

Post by binder »

Sacohen wrote:No-ip is working again.

I got an e=mail from Russ earlier and my account with Reeftronics is up again.
their site still says they are having issues and all 3 of my domains are still down.

I'm glad yours is up and running though.

Sent from my Moto X
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Yeah something strange is going on.
My phone won't pick up the info from the RA in away mode using the no-ip.biz domain name and I an't see my web cam either, but if I go to Reeftronics web site, they are in communication with my RA.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I just signed up for a name on one of there other free domains.
binder

Post by binder »

Because these issues are rather annoying to me, I decided to revisit an option that I mentioned a year or so ago. I'm also basing some of my decision on the articles posted online in reference to the no-ip.com issue.

I'm going to be switching over to using the freedns.afraid.org dynamic dns updating service. I took the liberty of registering a new domain to be used for anybody to host their dynamic domains. I'm currently in the process of setting things up and getting my stuff switched over to it. Once it is up and running, I will be creating a post describing this and what they can do if they want to use it. It will be free for anybody to use and I will maintain that domain name. :)
The domain that I chose to use is: tank-stats.com

I think it is fitting to use. Anyways, for those of you who are interested in using it, I will have details later. If you aren't interested, that's cool. I'm just trying to figure out more ways to help and prevent this stuff from happening in the future.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I was looking at them yesterday, but didn't have the time to get into it.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Hey Curt, this is a free service too, right?
You just chose to purchase a domain to use with their DNS hosting, correct?
Roberto.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Curt,

I've been using afraid.org for a few months now w/ no issues. But recently I had my IP change and it did not update automatically. I had to go in and manually update it. I have not had any time to figure out what and why or even if it was my fault. I'm interested to hear your thoughts and setup.

Edit..I am using one of the available community domains instead of my own..not sure if that contributed...
Jack
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

howaboutme;

Do you have a program to automatically inform them when your IP changes, like No-ip had their DUC?

From afraid.orgs FAQ page. Question #2.
Question: (FAQ item #2)
Is there a program/script for updating my IP in FreeDNS?
Answer:
For a list of Windows/UNIX clients available, please visit the FreeDNS Clients page. You can reach it anytime within the Dynamic DNS section of the site. You can use any program that talks over HTTP to update your IP within FreeDNS.
These are some of the programs they recommend.
http://freedns.afraid.org/scripts/freedns.clients.php
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Sacohen wrote:howaboutme;

Do you have a program to automatically inform them when your IP changes, like No-ip had their DUC?

From afraid.orgs FAQ page. Question #2.
Question: (FAQ item #2)
Is there a program/script for updating my IP in FreeDNS?
Answer:
For a list of Windows/UNIX clients available, please visit the FreeDNS Clients page. You can reach it anytime within the Dynamic DNS section of the site. You can use any program that talks over HTTP to update your IP within FreeDNS.
These are some of the programs they recommend.
http://freedns.afraid.org/scripts/freedns.clients.php
Oops..Thanks for that. I guess I totally missed that when I signed up. I knew it was user error. :)
Jack
binder

Post by binder »

rimai wrote:Hey Curt, this is a free service too, right?
You just chose to purchase a domain to use with their DNS hosting, correct?
yes it is a free service.

yes I chose to buy a domain to add to their pool of domains for use with their dns hosting.

Sent from my Moto X
binder

Post by binder »

so far it was super easy for me to get setup and going. haven't setup the dynamic update client yet and won't until after I get my yard work done today. I will post more about that.
I'm also going to setup instructions for people on how to use it if they want.

Sent from my Moto X
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Looking forward to you post about the freedns.afraid.org dynamic dns updating service.

I have ddns.net setup for now.

Thanks Curt.
binder

Post by binder »

Created a topic about the alternative DDNS service.

http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4753