Our DDNS service

Related to the Portal
cosmith71

Re: Our DDNS service

Post by cosmith71 »

Roberto, could you update the original post and make this a sticky? It will certainly help the new folks.

--Colin
binder

Post by binder »

Sacohen wrote:Yes it did. There was a problem with the android app or the portal with the "_".
the character violated the dns name specifications, so the character was changed to be in compliance with the dns standards.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
binder

Post by binder »

cosmith71 wrote:Roberto, could you update the original post and make this a sticky? It will certainly help the new folks.

--Colin
i just updated the OP and changed the "_" to "-" and made the topic a sticky.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Thanks, Curt.

--Colin
vvjosh06

Post by vvjosh06 »

I'm still having problems with my portal. i cant seem to access it outside of the app or on reef angel website. ive tried posting my ddns into the address bar and even tried the ip address for my wifi attachement. im lost
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

vvjosh06 wrote:I'm still having problems with my portal. i cant seem to access it outside of the app or on reef angel website. ive tried posting my ddns into the address bar and even tried the ip address for my wifi attachement. im lost
The Portal (website) and the apps are the only ways to access your RA right now. Accessing the controller directly is still in beta and doesn't work very well.

--Colin
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

If you want to access it directly add /r99 to the URL (http://www.xxx.yyy.zzz:2000/r99)

If this works with your internal IP and not your external IP then your port forwarding is not working
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I changed my subdomain from the default in a continuing set of things I'm doing to improve security a bit. Anyone know how quickly it gets updated by the RA server in the zone file?

Edit: It gets updated right away if you get the ReefAngel.Portal() syntax right. I forgot to put a comma between the username and portal key, so it never took affect until I fixed it. Doh.
Echo5delta16

Post by Echo5delta16 »

I am SO confused with out to make my RA accessible from anywhere outside of my network. I do not understand all of the jargon(dns, tcp, ymca, smtp). So far I have not found a thread that helps in simple terms how to set this up. i contacted reef angel and the guy has helped me with the wifi box connecting but he doesnt have any support for the port forwarding. i have a netgear router and i added the ports and ip address to port forwarding but still it doesnt work i have to assume its not as easy as typing in the port and ip address. because i did that and it doesnt work so there must be more to it. can anyone help with this? im willing to trade a zoa frag for information if need be.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

What model Netgear router?
I want to try information on it online.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

hmmm if I simply use astralmind-reef.myreefangel.com, it attempts to connect directly to my router asking for its credentials. I have to add the ":2000" for it to bounce to my reef angel (and from there on it seems fine). Did I miss something ?
binder

Post by binder »

astralmind wrote:hmmm if I simply use astralmind-reef.myreefangel.com, it attempts to connect directly to my router asking for its credentials. I have to add the ":2000" for it to bounce to my reef angel (and from there on it seems fine). Did I miss something ?
Nope, that is correct. The DDNS service just points a domain name to your home network (ip address). you still need the port to get to the reef angel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

binder wrote:
astralmind wrote:hmmm if I simply use astralmind-reef.myreefangel.com, it attempts to connect directly to my router asking for its credentials. I have to add the ":2000" for it to bounce to my reef angel (and from there on it seems fine). Did I miss something ?
Nope, that is correct. The DDNS service just points a domain name to your home network (ip address). you still need the port to get to the reef angel.

Perfect, thanks! Awesome job on the android app btw, had not used it in 3 years, it evolved nicely
binder

Post by binder »

astralmind wrote:
binder wrote:

Perfect, thanks! Awesome job on the android app btw, had not used it in 3 years, it evolved nicely
Thanks!

cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

I've been having trouble with this for several days now. I'm unable to get a connection using myreefangel.com through Curt's app. Error 13 failed to connect, but it shows the wrong IP address. My no-ip address works fine, as does the portal. Has the myreefangel.com stopped updating for me?
binder

Post by binder »

cosmith71 wrote:I've been having trouble with this for several days now. I'm unable to get a connection using myreefangel.com through Curt's app. Error 13 failed to connect, but it shows the wrong IP address. My no-ip address works fine, as does the portal. Has the myreefangel.com stopped updating for me?
I thought I saw something about the service not being available anymore but I don't recall. I would have to search more for it. If it is stopped, I still have my domain available for use. It's not as easy as the RA one but it works and is free.

binder

Post by binder »

cosmith71 wrote:I've been having trouble with this for several days now. I'm unable to get a connection using myreefangel.com through Curt's app. Error 13 failed to connect, but it shows the wrong IP address. My no-ip address works fine, as does the portal. Has the myreefangel.com stopped updating for me?
yes, the RA ddns was brought down. see this post in the thread.
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?p=56452#p56452
He doesn't elaborate more but it's down.

rimai

Post by rimai »

I need to figure out how to do it on a Linux system, which is what our new server is.
Until then, it is not updating :(
Roberto.
binder

Our DDNS service

Post by binder »

rimai wrote:I need to figure out how to do it on a Linux system, which is what our new server is.
Until then, it is not updating :(
just a quick search yielded this
https://yingtongli.me/blog/2017/04/18/dynamic-dns.html
and this
http://andrwe.org/linux/own-ddns

now, i don’t know how well this would work for you but it can give you an idea of how to update the records when you get the values/ip address.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

That would explain it! I'm up and running on no-ip, so it's not a big deal right now.

Thanks!
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

Any update on the DDNS?
rimai

Post by rimai »

I didn't have time to check this out.
But with the new cloud service, this became obsolete, so I'm not so sure if this is going to be brought back.
The new cloud service allows for remote control and monitoring without any need of ip configuration or port forwarding.
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

even if the Reef Angel ddns is obsolete, there still is the alternate ddns. it's not as easy as the ra version but it works.