Power outage

Related to the Portal
AndyC

Power outage

Post by AndyC »

Everyone probably knows this but I just figured it out...we've had two very long power outages with recent spring storms and both times I needed to change the IP address for the reef angel app after power was restored. These were 14 and 13 hour outages but I didn't need to change anything with shorter outages in the past. Just FYI in case anyone runs into a similar situation.
binder

Re: Power outage

Post by binder »

one solution that can help you avoid this problem is to use one of our dynamic dns options.
with that being said, you would have to run some sort of client software to update your ip address when the ip changes. most routers purchased nowadays have a ddns option/section in them that allows you to do this. or if you run an alternative router firmware (ddwrt or pfsense), it is builtin as well. if those are not possible, there are minimal client apps that can run on windows to periodically check your ip and update it appropriately.

i personally use the ddns and have my router do the ip address updating for me. i have had outages before and my ip has changed but i don't ever have to worry because my ip will be updated within an hour of the new address being updated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk