Unreachable Address in portal

Related to the Portal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:39 am
rimai wrote:You need to setup port forwarding on your router.
If you don't want to setup port forwarding, you can get the new cloud wifi attachment that uses a cloud server to communicate and then there is no setup on your end.
All routers block incoming connections by default as it thinks it is an intruder. You must specify that you want to allow traffic on port 2000 to enter and forward it to your wifi attachment ip address.

Thanks again.

How often is the iOS app refreshed with data from the wifi attachment?

I will be attempting to do port forwarding tonight when I get home, hope the clever people are on standby with help.

Is my wifi attachment IP addres the one which appears when I log into portal here, or is the one which I used to access the web server page and then had to type in "wifi?"
Apologies if these are stupid questions, but I am sure you have realized by now that you are not dealing with a quantum physicist.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:47 am
It does not refresh. You need to hit the refresh button.
If you want live stream of data, you will need the new cloud wifi attachment.
The ip address shown in the portal is your external ip address.
The ip address that the wifi attachment got from your router is your internal ip address.
Anyone trying to access your controller from outside your network, need to use the external ip address.
Then, the router will forward that request to your internal ip address by means of port forwarding.
Roberto.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:39 am
Thanks, I will tackle this a little later, will probably make more sense when I am logged into my router.

How regularly is the information in portal updated (database mode?)? Its currently more than 2 hours outdated, is that normal, or is my router at home not connected?
I assume for live mode, one needs the cloud wifi attachment?

Also, the IP address I used to get to the web page reef angel web server by typing it into my address bar in IE explorer, no longer works (this page cannot be displayed) after I updated firmware & did the Tera thing?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:09 am
It updates every 5 minutes.
Make sure the router did not give out a different ip address to your wifi attachment.
Also, you will only be able to use that internal ip address when you are in your wifi network.
If you are trying it on your phone over 4G, you must use the external ip address and you must have port forwarding setup.
Remember, 4G is equal to outside world internet and the router will block your connection if not setup to forward traffic to your wifi attachment.
If your phone is connected to your wifi network, you are connected to your internal network and your connection will be allowed as the router trusts anyone inside your network already.
Roberto.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:23 am
Make sure the router did not give out a different ip address to your wifi attachment.
I would not even know how to see if it did or how to prevent it from doing that.

Also, you will only be able to use that internal ip address when you are in your wifi network.
Not quite sure what you mean by this, the RA wifi attachment is a meter away from my Vodafone router, not using a phone, fixed the fact that I could not connect by taking all security off the router last night.

I see another late night and hair pulling and having to stop short of applying the bigger the problem the bigger the hammer to my Reef Angel..... But I have come this far, and with the prompt assistance I am getting I might just hang in there a little longer. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:30 am
Your router assigns ip addresses on its own.
If you want to have it always assign the same ip address, there is what is called DHCP reservation. It's a feature of your router. You must enable it and add the mac address of your wifi attachment so the router will always assign the same ip address to your wifi attachment.
Internal ip addresses are numbers given to all your devices in your own wifi network. Anything inside your own wifi network is always trusted. So, if you want to connect to the wifi attachment without any port forwarding, you must have your phone connected to your wifi network. You cannot have your phone on 4G.
If your phone is on 4G, your phone is connected to public internet and the router will not trust your phone. It will only trust your phone on 4G if you setup port forwarding.
If your phone is on wifi, it will be trusted and you only need to browse the ip address that your router gave to the wifi attachment.
If this is too confusing, I suggest you getting the new cloud wifi attachment that don't need none of this setup. It simply connects to the cloud server and your can use the uapp to get live streams from the cloud server.
Roberto.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:30 am
The thought just occurred to me, will I have to o through the whole set up process again if the router had given me a different IP address?
Re-do the connecting the wifi attachment to laptop and then running the Tera Term Macro again and then connecting the wifi attachment to the head unit?
PANIC :shock: :shock: :o It took me hours of feeling stupid and frustrated last night....or rather until early hours this morning.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:33 am
No.
You are done with that. Your wifi attachment is already setup and don't need to be setup again unless you change the router or change the ssid/password.
Roberto.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:39 am
Massive sigh of relief.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:08 pm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:23 pm
Make sure the router did not give out a different ip address to your wifi attachment

Where will i see if router gave a different ip to the wifi attachment? How do i fix it or if it gave a new ip and i am to use the newly assigned IP, and i set the router to always give the same ip to wifi attachment, what do i do with the new ip assigned to start getting data?
PreviousNext

Return to Portal