Portal, data logging, app issues

Related to the Portal
reefoffillory

Re: Portal, data logging, app issues

Post by reefoffillory »

rimai wrote:Sure. You can get a json formatted file.
http://forum.reefangel.com/status/jsonp ... &filter=t1
Thank you for the response. I will be the first to admit that I am not as technically savvy as I would like to think. Does this pull the current status? How far back does it go?

I noticed that when I click on that link I only see temperature info, and no pH info. I also don't see an indication of time/sequence [unless i'm missing something].

I have never heard of JSON before, but I don't want to do anything too crazy with the data, just be able to see a chart of my temp/pH changes and be able to graph it in Excel or Google Sheets or something similar.

I also realize you're not in the business of free tech lessons so I understand if you don't have any further help to offer!

Thanks again!
binder

Post by binder »

the example given just pulls the current status for t1, hence the filter=t1 section.
json is just a way to format key value pairs.
there should be a way to get a complete data chunk in xml formatted response from the portal and that would (at least i think but don’t remember off hand since i haven’t looked for a while) include a date & time stamp. that’s what i do in my android app when the user asks for the data from the portal. i don’t have the exact url handy but can get it if you want.
xml and json are the only 2 ways to get the formatted data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rimai

Post by rimai »

It only goes the same as the portal.
This is the url the portal uses to pull data.
If you don't know how to manipulate json on excel, you can use this:
https://json-csv.com/
Roberto.
rimai

Post by rimai »

To manipulate data on excel, just google.
This one is the first one it came up with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjnsX81qWUg
Roberto.
reefoffillory

Post by reefoffillory »

binder wrote:the example given just pulls the current status for t1, hence the filter=t1 section.
there should be a way to get a complete data chunk in xml formatted response from the portal and that would (at least i think but don’t remember off hand since i haven’t looked for a while) include a date & time stamp. that’s what i do in my android app when the user asks for the data from the portal. i don’t have the exact url handy but can get it if you want.

That would be great, I'd like time & Value for the data so that I can graph it.

I am able to split the values in the JSON file, but it's just not valuable without a date/time reference.

The value before the ,[reading] doesn't seem to mean anything for my purposes?

Thank you guys!

Really hoping to get these last few parts of the controller figured out before I decide to buy some more modules and expand it =)

I do have the android app linked to my portal - is it easier to get the data [including date/time/value] through the app? I am okay with having to manipulate/separate the data out in excel once I get a file with the data in it.
rimai

Post by rimai »

The first column would be date and time in unix (EPOCH) format.
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

reefoffillory wrote:
binder wrote:the example given just pulls the current status for t1, hence the filter=t1 section.

That would be great, I'd like time & Value for the data so that I can graph it.

I am able to split the values in the JSON file, but it's just not valuable without a date/time reference.

The value before the ,[reading] doesn't seem to mean anything for my purposes?

Thank you guys!

Really hoping to get these last few parts of the controller figured out before I decide to buy some more modules and expand it =)

I do have the android app linked to my portal - is it easier to get the data [including date/time/value] through the app? I am okay with having to manipulate/separate the data out in excel once I get a file with the data in it.
there currently is no way to export the data from my android app.
so your best solution is to do what Roberto suggested or do what I mentioned. I personally don't know the json format and have not looked at it to understand it better. I just parse the xml data. regardless, to do what you want you will need a script to do the following:
1. query the portal for the data (xml or json)
2. save/process the data (if necessary)
3. import into excel

you just need to figure out what route you want to take and get started and then ask questions if you encounter any along the way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk