Usb Relay module

Expansion modules and attachments
AquaO

Usb Relay module

Post by AquaO »

Hello

I wonder if i can use a usb relay module with the Angel Reef instead of expanding relay box?

I would like additional relay controller of an application for 12V (DIY project) without having to use the expansion relay box.

If this is not possible you have another idea to control 4 relay with the controller.

Thank you very much for your support

AquaO

Osaka 40g with 55g sump
Radion, 2X Tunze 6045, Swc-160 mini cone
rimai

Re: Usb Relay module

Post by rimai »

Not entirely understood what you want to do.
Can you give me a better view?
Roberto.
Sebyte

Post by Sebyte »

Like Roberto I am not quite sure what you are after. But this may give you an idea you can work on.

I run my Kalkwasser reactor without using a port. I did not have a spare relay port, so I built a small single relay box and control it from one of the ATO ports.

The circuit is small 10v dc relay which switches the mains voltage to a surface mounted receptacle set into the lid of a plastic project box. You could feed 12v dc in place of mains voltage.

The coil of the relay connects to one of the ATO ports on the RA, and I use the following code to turn thr relay on.

Code: Select all

// Kalk Reactor mixing 6 times per day - 01:30 to 2:00, 05:30 to 06:00, 09:30 to 10:00, 
  // 13:30 to 14:00, 17:30 to 18:00, 21:30 to 2:00.

if (hour() % 4 == 1 && minute()>30) 
  {
    pinMode(highATOPin,OUTPUT);
    digitalWrite(highATOPin,HIGH); // Turn on Solid State Relay
  }
  else
  {
    pinMode(highATOPin,OUTPUT);
    digitalWrite(highATOPin,LOW); // Turn off Solid State Relay
  }
This concept can be used to provide an additional port if you need one and don't yet need to expand by another relay box. It of course the concept can be adapted for other uses.
AquaO

Post by AquaO »

Sebyte thank you for the concept.

In fact I need to control four aditional relay 12vdc to operate in four DiY dosing pump.

In searching the net I find a USB control board that operates the relay with a PC.

This is a description: sorry i cannot put this link

URMC4 4 Channel USB Relay Module is great for controlling your devices through USB without any USB protocol knowledge. This modules plugs in to your design seamlessly. Individual relay can be controlled by simple commands.

Numato's URMC4 4 Channel USB Relay Module provides exceptional value for money. It has four on board 12v DC relays that can switch up to 10A load.The relays are controlled by USB capable Microchip PIC Microcontroller (PIC18F14K50) and comes with built in firmware that supports simple commands to control relays and read relay status. The board, when attached to a PC/Laptop shows up as a serial port and all you need to control the board is a serial terminal application like HyperTerminal or Putty. This board can easily be controlled by writing simple serial port application in VC++, VB, VBA (Word, Excell etc), Perl, Python etc.

So I was wondering if I could use this USB control board with a ReefAngel instead of a PC.

Or an equivalent solution, control four relays 12vdc aditional without use the expension relay box.

Thank you very much for your help

AquaO

Sorry for my bad english

Osaka 40g with 55g sump
AquaO

Usb Relay module

Post by AquaO »

AquaO wrote:Sebyte thank you for the concept.

In fact I need to control four aditional relay 12vdc to operate in four DiY dosing pump.

In searching the net I find a USB control board that operates the relay with a PC.

This is a description: sorry i cannot put this link

URMC4 4 Channel USB Relay Module is great for controlling your devices through USB without any USB protocol knowledge. This modules plugs in to your design seamlessly. Individual relay can be controlled by simple commands.

Numato's URMC4 4 Channel USB Relay Module provides exceptional value for money. It has four on board 12v DC relays that can switch up to 10A load.The relays are controlled by USB capable Microchip PIC Microcontroller (PIC18F14K50) and comes with built in firmware that supports simple commands to control relays and read relay status. The board, when attached to a PC/Laptop shows up as a serial port and all you need to control the board is a serial terminal application like HyperTerminal or Putty. This board can easily be controlled by writing simple serial port application in VC++, VB, VBA (Word, Excell etc), Perl, Python etc.

So I was wondering if I could use this USB control board with a ReefAngel instead of a PC.

Or an equivalent solution, control four relays 12vdc aditional without use the expension relay box.

Thank you very much for your help

AquaO

Sorry for my bad english

Oh, I have the second gen of the controller and i use one temp sensor, pH probe, eventually i want purchase a Aqua illumination. I dont use the ATO output cause i have a Tunze Ato. In my relay box i use 7 of them.

I love this controller for the infinite possibilities.

Thank

Osaka 40g with 55g sump
rimai

Post by rimai »

You could use the PWM expansion module and connect 12VDC relays to it. Each channel can control one relay.
Roberto.