Ato based on salinity? Any one tried?

Expansion modules and attachments
dazza1304

Post by dazza1304 »

As above, the salinity probe seems quite accurate and was wondering has anyone use to control an Ato pump?

My thoughts are, when salinity decreases to a set level the Ato pump would operate until the salinity reached a target value and to be certain doesn't overfill have a timeout of 10 secs then a lockout so it doesn't operate again for maybe an hour or so?

You experiences/thoughts would be much appreciated!
Last edited by dazza1304 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Conceptually I like it...no float switches needed, or just to prevent overflow if something does go wrong...wonder why no one else has thought of it...gotta be some gotcha somewhere...
DrewPalmer04

Re: Ato based on salinity? Any one tried?

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

I've thought of something like this...for mixing tanks.

Step 1: Figure out salt to water ratio for 1.026 salinity
Step 2: Add salt to tub...probe reads 0
Step 3: Pump adds water from RO/DI tub to salt tub until 1.026 is reached or ATO switch is reached with water..which ever is first (to avoid overflow)
Step 4: Waterchange mode via one ATO switch on sump..one in salt tub (or three ATO switchs ideally)

Just thoughts.....
Out for now...but not over.

VISIT: Ethernet Module/Wifi Alternative
dazza1304

Post by dazza1304 »

I cannot think of any reason it would not work, so how would I code this to check how it works?
Danne

Post by Danne »

You must start with water, then add salt. Otherwise the concentration will be to high and calsium will "fall out" as limestone.
dazza1304

Post by dazza1304 »

Danne wrote:You must start with water, then add salt. Otherwise the concentration will be to high and calsium will "fall out" as limestone.
Thanks for the reply, but I was referring to my original post:

"the salinity probe seems quite accurate and was wondering has anyone use to control an Ato pump?

My thoughts are, when salinity decreases to a set level the Ato pump would operate until the salinity reached a target value and to be certain doesn't overfill have a timeout of 10 secs then a lockout so it doesn't operate again for maybe an hour or so?

You experiences/thoughts would be much appreciated!"
DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

Now, would you want the ATO pump to kick on when salinity DECREASES? you would want fresh water to be added if the salinity increased...(say when you dose two part additives)

A decrease would mean you would want additional salt mix added via the ATO
Out for now...but not over.

VISIT: Ethernet Module/Wifi Alternative
dazza1304

Post by dazza1304 »

DrewPalmer04 wrote:Now, would you want the ATO pump to kick on when salinity DECREASES? you would want fresh water to be added if the salinity increased...(say when you dose two part additives)

A decrease would mean you would want additional salt mix added via the ATO
Yes, your correct!! I got it wrong - it should be as you say, when the salinity increases!!

Thanks!
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

I like the idea conceptually, but wouldn't it be more difficult to control in a sump based aquarium set-up. In most systems the water level in the main stays steady and the evaporation shows up as a decrease in the water level of the sump. However, with a salinity change (increase due to evaporation) it would have to fill over a long period of time to adjust for the total volume of the system water coming to eqiulibrium again.

-Jon
Blawson

Post by Blawson »

Think it's a pretty basic an straight forward ideal. Code just needs to say if salinity is less than 1.26 then turn on pump for 10 seconds. Wait an hour (or your preference and check again). You should be able to set the pump to turn off at 1.26. I would still use a float valve just in case.
dazza1304

Post by dazza1304 »

Just a quick update!

Have been using this for about 4 weeks now and works fantastic! Keeps salinity very stable!

Another benefit of this is that Ato is no longer sensitive to fluctuations in water level etc.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Lets see your code!
dazza1304

Post by dazza1304 »

Well, not mine, really its Robertos!! See below!

At the moment, I am using an existing tunze ATO that has a overfill float switch, so am just powering up the ATO from Port 5, and if overfull, the tunze float switch will stop pump from operating.

However, code is easily modified to incorporate a float switch for overfull cut out!

Basically, I have set that if salinity sits at 35.1 or above for 120 secs port 5 is switched on and ATO operates.

////// Place global variable code below here
unsigned long lastLowSal=now();

////// Place global variable code above here

////// Place your custom code below here
if (ReefAngel.Params.Salinity<351) lastLowSal=now();
ReefAngel.Relay.Set(Port5,(now()-lastLowSal>120));

////// Place your custom code above here