Salinity module works inversely to the way it should?

Expansion modules and attachments
dazza1304

Salinity module works inversely to the way it should?

Post by dazza1304 »

Hi,

I have the salinity module, which seems to be working well, but have discovered that it works inversely to the way it should!!

I calibrate to 35ppt, no problem, BUT, if I put in RO water (effectively open circuit) it indicates a salinity of 60ppt and if I put it in some very salty water, it indicates a low salinity, so its working back to front?

Why???

When I set up, I didn't do the bit below, but just assumed as it worked, that it didn't need doing?

Setting up your Reef Angel Head Unit
1. Your Reef Angel Head unit needs to be setup to be able to communicate with any expansion modules.
2. You need to place the provided jumpers to the SDA and SCL pins.
rimai

Re: Salinity module works inversely to the way it should?

Post by rimai »

When you remove the probe, it actually reports 6.0ppt. Can you double check the decimal place?
It's a display glitch that didn't erase the last digit when it went from readings greater than 10 to less than 10, if you are seeing 60.0ppt.
6.0ppt is the least that the salinity module will be able to read. Anything less than that, you better of measuring with a TDS meter.
The salinity is calculated by measuring conductivity. RO water does not conduct electricity. The same thing if you remove the probe from your tank or disconnet the probe from the module.
It will report the minimum it can read, which is 6.0ppt
Roberto.
dazza1304

Re: Salinity module works inversely to the way it should?

Post by dazza1304 »

rimai wrote:When you remove the probe, it actually reports 6.0ppt. Can you double check the decimal place?
It's a display glitch that didn't erase the last digit when it went from readings greater than 10 to less than 10, if you are seeing 60.0ppt.
6.0ppt is the least that the salinity module will be able to read. Anything less than that, you better of measuring with a TDS meter.
The salinity is calculated by measuring conductivity. RO water does not conduct electricity. The same thing if you remove the probe from your tank or disconnet the probe from the module.
It will report the minimum it can read, which is 6.0ppt
Hi Roberto, your right - as always!!

What threw me was my "really salty" water that wasn't as salty as I thought!!!

Thanks again and please feel free to remove this silly post!!