wifi module and router problems

Expansion modules and attachments
riggeek

wifi module and router problems

Post by riggeek »

It seems every time my power is bumped at the house the it get Connection Status:
Unreachable Address on the portal. At this point I can see the data from the tank changing and it is accurate, but I can not change any of the internal memory settings

this time is was my power company swapping power meters with no one home. I am away at work for 2 more weeks and cannot fix it at this point.

I am want to start using the reef angle to do dosing, but i am worried about doing it with this problem.

last time i had to go in and reconfigure the WiFi module to get it fixed. Not sure if it the WiFi this time, or if it is a problem with my NetGear 4500 router. The router is set up to always assign a certain IP to the WiFi module, and forward port 2000

Any idea how to keep this from happening?
riggeek

rimai

Re: wifi module and router problems

Post by rimai »

The router is the piece responsible of assigning ip address to all your devices in the house.
Every time your router gets rebooted, it may loose the internal ip table, which causes it to assign a new ip address to your wifi attachment.
By doing so, it is not very smart to know you had port forwarding already setup and causes the port forwarding to be disrupted. The solution is force your router to always assign the same ip address to your wifi attachment.
This is called DHCP reservation.
The other alternative, which is not recommended, but also doable, is to assign a static ip on the wifi attachment, so it disregards what the router tells and will always use the same ip no matter what.
Roberto.