Time for additional Ethernet add-on with PWM output

Expansion modules and attachments
DrewPalmer04

Re: Time for additional Ethernet add-on with PWM output

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

So you have a resistor between the RA and the SDA on the uno? I would suggest powering the uno from a solo power source and trying to just use only the SDA/SCL for communication. Start simple...once it's communicating, then attempt to power the uno from the RA...:)
Out for now...but not over.

VISIT: Ethernet Module/Wifi Alternative
topjimmy

Post by topjimmy »

DrewPalmer04 wrote:So you have a resistor between the RA and the SDA on the uno? I would suggest powering the uno from a solo power source and trying to just use only the SDA/SCL for communication. Start simple...once it's communicating, then attempt to power the uno from the RA...:)
There are two 10k pull up resistors.

Not my pic but exactly what I did, minus the 5v connection from the usb. I snipped that off.
topjimmy

Post by topjimmy »

Success!

I re soldered the connections,and I am now using the shield to act as the pwm expansion. I ordered one of the Chinese combos and as of now, it is the pwm expansion and the other shield is the ethernet. I am going to try and combine them, I should just have to connect the tx rx and ground to make the wifi part work also on the combo

Much thanks to Roberto for the code,and to Drew for the original ethernet work
Last edited by topjimmy on Wed May 01, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

Cool. Give us a breakdown of your complete methods if you'd like. Start a thread. I'm sure others might enjoy this.

topjimmy

Post by topjimmy »

I need to do some more testing, then I will. I am an hour off on time so I don't think it's syncing with the RTC. Not sure though. I might work on it this weekend.
topjimmy

Post by topjimmy »

Roberto,
Any reason as to why the PWM signal would start an hour early? I assumed that the expansion sets it's time with the head unit.

I must have jiggered something up....
rimai

Post by rimai »

You are probably running 2 time syncs.
I use RTC from the head unit and I think you are syncing with the NTP from internet.
Make sure you account for daylight savings.
Roberto.
topjimmy

Post by topjimmy »

I removed the time sync that drew had put in. I'll have to get some serial monitor on it and see what's going on.
DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

There will be a conflict of using NTP and I2C. NTP defines the time based on the packets received from the NTP server. Then youre also trying to define time from the RTC. So they are trying to define the time far too often together. Good move just getting rid of ANYTHING NTP related. Then start fresh with RTClib and Wire.h :)

Francois

Post by Francois »

Thank you DrewPalmer04 for all your hard work and setting up the code for us....stunning work man! but one question....How do I get the ethernet board to communicate with the android app? The web portal and the iphone app works perfectly. I'm getting Error 23: XML SAX Parser the whole time with the android app. but can still toggle the ports on and off....but can't retrieve data. Maybe Curt can assist?
binder

Post by binder »

Francois wrote:Thank you DrewPalmer04 for all your hard work and setting up the code for us....stunning work man! but one question....How do I get the ethernet board to communicate with the android app? The web portal and the iphone app works perfectly. I'm getting Error 23: XML SAX Parser the whole time with the android app. but can still toggle the ports on and off....but can't retrieve data. Maybe Curt can assist?
It could have something to do with the version of software you are running on both the android app and the controller. Sometimes there are xml tags that are sent from the controller that cause problems with the app processing. It can also be that you are communicating too fast with the controller or something else is interfering with the data. On one of my test builds of the android app, I noticed the xml parse error happening with some older library versions. I unfortunately dont have a good answer of something to try. I will have to try looking into it further. I will say that some people have experienced problems if the flush value or timeouts were set to small or low.

Sent from my iPad mini