Wifi Attachment

Expansion modules and attachments
xtown90

Wifi Attachment

Post by xtown90 »

I'm having trouble with my wifi attachment. It worked fine for several weeks, but last week it stopped working. Green light flashing and blue light flashing fast. I ran the wifi attachment setup utility which fixed the issue. Here it's five days later and back to blue flashing light. Anyone have a solution?
Rob

fatman

Re: Wifi Attachment

Post by fatman »

There is a link elsewhere to the latest firmware. I have not loaded it, but mine has settled down and is running well of late. In about 8 weeks I needed to disconnect it and reconnect it (twice in one day) but other than that it's working fine. I did a permanent IP assignment from the router and revamped the refresh rate on the module as well as installing an external antenna. So far, so good!
dbmet

Wifi Attachment

Post by dbmet »

The latest is 2.38. I updated a few days ago.
00Warpig00

Post by 00Warpig00 »

xtown90 wrote:I'm having trouble with my wifi attachment. It worked fine for several weeks, but last week it stopped working. Green light flashing and blue light flashing fast. I ran the wifi attachment setup utility which fixed the issue. Here it's five days later and back to blue flashing light. Anyone have a solution?
Reluctantly it seems that the best solution to the Wifi mod loosing connection and refusing to reconnect on it's own seems to be elimination. I have been fighting with my wifi mod so long I chose to help implement a hard wired Ethernet connection just to prevent myself from going completely mad! ;) Two separate Ethernet methods have been tested and both seem to be holding up great so far (see other threads if interested). Hopefully Roving Networks will resolve the issues with the module/firmware in short order, but I got tired of holding my breath...

Nick
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2

mudcat1

Post by mudcat1 »

xtown90 wrote:I'm having trouble with my wifi attachment. It worked fine for several weeks, but last week it stopped working. Green light flashing and blue light flashing fast. I ran the wifi attachment setup utility which fixed the issue. Here it's five days later and back to blue flashing light. Anyone have a solution?
I had a similar symptom when I neglected to assign a static IP address to the Reef Angel Wifi on my wireless router. I was using DHCP to assign the IP address so when the IP lease expired and the IP address assigned to the Wifi would change, then the Wifi would lose its connection and the blue light would flash.
novellmaster

Post by novellmaster »

I see on dbmet's post from Nov 2010 that version 2.38 is available. On the download link version 2.0 and 2.2 is listed which must be quite old. Where can we get the new versions? I would like to test that since we have the same issue where our WIFI disconnects and then does not reconnect.
dbmet

Wifi Attachment

Post by dbmet »

You can use the wifi setup utility to upgrade the firmware, or use terraterm, or putty to connect to the wifi module to upgrade the firmware.
novellmaster

Post by novellmaster »

Hi all,

I am trying to locate the wifi setup utility again to put on my new laptop. The manual points to the Rovi site which is now Microchip? Is there another location for the setup utility?
novellmaster

Post by novellmaster »

Roberto helped me out with updating my WIFI, thank Roberto!

Since I was struggling, I will post what I did.

1. Connect your WIFI adapter to you computer using the USB-TTL cable as the PDF demonstrates and get to the prompt of the WIFI unit by typing $$$ to get the CMD prompt (Baud rate should be 57600)

( I tried to include a link to the WIFI Manual, but I am not authorized) Go to Downloads | Manuals and it is the second one listed.

2. once you are at the CMD mode, the CMD prompt will be your firmware version of the WIFI adapter.

3. Just to be thorough, at the CMD prompt you can type 'get e' which will display the device's current configuration

4. Type 'ftp u' This will connect to the ftp server and update your firmware to the latest version.

5. Once the ftp is complete, type 'save' then 'reboot' This will restart the unit to the new version

6. Reconnect to the unit now using a baud rate of 9600 and follow Roberto's instructions in this post. (again I can't post a link)

if you put this in browser - reef angel dot com /viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4601

At this point you will be downloading a macro for Tera Term which you need to update with your specific SSID and passphrase. Keep in mind the first thing the macro does is changes the baud rate of the WIFI adapter and causes your Serial session to close. Reconnect with 57600 and rerun the macro to finish applying default Reef Angel settings.

I hope this helps clarify things and saves someone's head of hair. It is an easy process, but you need to know where to start.