Issue with wifi

Expansion modules and attachments
rimai

Re: Issue with wifi

Post by rimai »

I'm almost thinking of using the controller to send $$$ and reboot command on a timed basis to see if that would work.
If the update doesn't work, let me know and we can try this route.
Roberto.
modulok

Post by modulok »

Code: Select all

get e
WiFly Ver 2.38.3, 01-15-2012 on RN-131
Beacon=100
Probe=5
Reboot=0
OPEN=
CLOSE=
REMOTE=
FlushSize=1420
MatchChar=0
FlushTimer=10
IdleTimer=3
CmdChar=$
IF=UP
DHCP=ON
IP=192.168.1.105:2000
NM=255.255.255.0
GW=192.168.1.1
HOST=198.171.134.6:80
PROTO=TCP,
MTU=1524
FLAGS=0x6
TCPMODE=0x0
BACKUP=0.0.0.0
DNS=192.168.1.1
Name=www.reefangel.com
Backup=backup2
FTP=198.175.253.161:21
File=wifly-GSX.img
User=roving
Pass=Pass123
Dir=public
Timeout=80
FTP_mode=0x0
SSID=*****
Chan=0
ExtAnt=0
Join=1
Auth=OPEN
Mask=0x1fff
Rate=12, 24 Mb
Linkmon=5
Passphrase=*****
SleepTmr=0
WakeTmr=0
Trigger=0x10
Autoconn=0
IoFunc=0x0
IoMask=0x20f0
IoValu=0x0
DebugReg=0x0
PrintLvl=0x0
TimeEna=0
TIMEADR=129.6.15.28:123
Zone=7
Baudrate=57600
Flow=0x0
Mode=0x2
Cmd_GPIO=0
JoinTmr=1000
Replace=0x24
DeviceId=ReefAngelWifi
Password=
Format=0x0
Signal=0
Average=5
BCAST=255.255.255.255:55555
Interval=0x7
Sensor=0x0
SensePwr=0x0
<2.38.3> GET /r99 HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.1.105:2000
Connection: Keep-Alive
stolat01

Post by stolat01 »

So, is there anything wrong based on my get e or the client error log? Just looking for an assessment before install an additional WIFI access point onto my home network. I do have an ethernet connection in my aquarium room begging to be used, too bad there isn't a module for that.

*****1/29/2013 7:05:04 AM*****
Parameter name: startIndex
StackTrace:
at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
at ReefAngelWCFListener.ReefAngelListener.GetAllMemoryValues()

*****1/29/2013 7:05:04 AM*****
Parameter name: String
StackTrace:
at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
at ReefAngelClient.Form1.DisplayMemoryValues()

*****1/29/2013 7:05:09 AM*****
Unable to connect to the remote server
StackTrace:
at System .Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
at System .Net.WebClient.DownloadString(Uri address)
at System .Net.WebClient.DownloadString(String address)
at ReefAngelWCFListener.ReefAngelListener.WifiSend()
modulok

Post by modulok »

So far, after killing the Win7 Gadget on 24/7 PC at work, my wifi unit has been working fine.
cjrudy

Post by cjrudy »

Updated the firmware to 2.38 a few weeks ago, worked fine for awhile, now I lose the connection everyday.

I have to disconnect it from the controller and reconnect to get it working.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Do you have any software pulling data from RA, such as Client or gadget?
Try adding this to your loop():

Code: Select all

if (millis()%3600000<500)
  {
    Serial.print("$$$");
    wdt_reset();
    delay(700);
    wdt_reset();
    Serial.println("reboot");
  }
Let me know how it goes.
Roberto.
cjrudy

Issue with wifi

Post by cjrudy »

Yes I had the gadget which I turned off , now I just use the iPhone app and the portal
dbmet

Issue with wifi

Post by dbmet »

I had the same problem so I reloaded the code for the head unit, added an antenna, updated the firmware which you already did.
cjrudy

Issue with wifi

Post by cjrudy »

Mine is still disconnecting randomly. Check my iPhone app when i left this morning it worked fine. Checked a few hours later and it wouldn't update. This keeps happening, I end up have to unplug the wifi attachment then plug it back in before it will work again.
rimai

Post by rimai »

How far are you from your router?
Some other users had the problem solved by either using an external antenna or changing routers.
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?p=20110#p20110
Roberto.
modulok

Post by modulok »

FYI, mine has been working flawless since I stopped using the Windows 7 gadget.

I think I will enable it again and see what happens.

Remember my issue was the wifi attachment stopped working (updating website or Andoid app) and I was still getting a reply from pinging the static IP I assigned to the wifi att.
cjrudy

Issue with wifi

Post by cjrudy »

rimai wrote:How far are you from your router?
Some other users had the problem solved by either using an external antenna or changing routers.
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?p=20110#p20110
It's about 50 ft away which should be fine. My router is running 2.4ghz which has a range of 100-150 ft. Additionally the router once 4 months old
modulok

Post by modulok »

Turned on my gadget again and it stopped working again last night.
That's gotta be the culprit.

Sent from my mobile communication device
rimai

Post by rimai »

Thanks for sharing!!!
Roberto.
stolat01

Post by stolat01 »

I found a breakthrough to the issue of a phantom wifi connection to my RA. To refresh the problem, the green light on the wifi module appears normal so the RA acts like it is connected, but my router says it is not connected. Disconnecting the module per published protocol results in a a short-term connection that lasts 15 minutes but never more than a few hours. The wifi module continues to signal "attached" even though it is not. The cycle repeats.

I installed a wifi signal scanner such as netstumbler on my laptop and found only one other network nearby. It was on channel 4 but no stronger than my signal that broadcast on channel 6. Still, I changed my network to channel 11 to maximize separation and minimize interference. Despite having already been not connected according to my router (and the iphone app not updating), it was ONLY after I changed channels did my RA signal with a blue light that it was not connected. I disconnected the RA off for ten seconds and it again reattached the wifi. But this time, it stayed attached. After that the network picked up the RA for three days before dropping again.

Seems like something fooled the RA wifi into thinking it was still on the desired network, even though it wasn't. Only when I changed frequency did this become apparent.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I've been having the same problem for the past week or so.
I just changed my channel from auto to 8 (which no one in my neighborhood is using).

I'll keep an eye on it, but one thing I have noticed is that when ever I lose connectivity the blue light on the WiFi module is flashing rapidly.
Francois

Post by Francois »

Guys one note with the new 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz Dual band routers. Your DHCP Clients are set on Lease time. I had the same problem where the wifi module would just drop connection every day and had to reset it to get it working again.

I think I’ve figured out what the problem was.

The router was disconnecting the WIFI module after the lease time expired of my DHCP Client List/Name assigned for the WIFI module, and then the WIFI module reconnects with a different ip address which port forwarding would fail as it’s set to a different ip address.

The routers DHCP Client list address lease time is only set for 1440 min / 24hours after that it renews the DHCP clients.

out of the manual, the Address Lease Time is the amount of time a network user will be allowed connection to the Router with their current dynamic IP Address. Enter the amount of time in minutes and the user will be "leased" this dynamic IP Address. After the time is up, the user will be automatically assigned a new dynamic IP address. The range of the time is 1 ~ 2880 minutes. The default value is 120 minutes.

So this is what I did to get it working again, hopefully….. fingers cross it will stay that way.

• Set the router security to WPA2 with AES encryption.
• Program the WIFI module with the WIFI attachment software.
• Assigned port forwarding with the ip address the WIFI attachment software gave.
• Set the router Wifi channel to 11
• Set routers DHCP address lease time setting to max where mine was only 2880 min / 48 hours.
• Clicked on DHCP Setting / Address Reservation and added the Mac address and IP address of the WIFI module there.
• Checked on DHCP Client list and saw the ReefAngel Wifi’s lease time was permanent.

Hope it can help you guys out.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I don't think that's my issue.
My router has an area to setup Reserved IP Addresses (I guess the same as Static) and I have the Reef Angel assigned an IP address.

It has been stable since I changed the channel ID to something that does not conflict with any of my neighbors.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Well I think I spoke to soon, but in this case I think I've tracked it down to the fact that my external IP address is changing very frequently.
I the hour that I have been looking into it it has changed 4 times.
Not sure why or what I can do about it.
I have a DNS company (no-ip.com) but I think it is changing so frequently that their tool is not keeping up with it.

I don't really have ground to complain with my IPS (ATT) because they are not providing me with a static IP.

At least that is the problem this time. we'll see if it happens again and what is going on then.
modulok

Post by modulok »

I am trying to associate the wifi unit with a new SSID...

Initially I got the wifi app to update and connect to new ssid, but my router was set to 192.168.11.1...I went and changed router to 192.168.1.1. Then using the wifi tool it keeps saying to reconnect, but never updates successfully. I tried updating firmware, but that never works.

I tried the terminal app and set everything, but after a reboot it will not connect. I also tried the factory reset and still can't get wifi unit to connect via term or wifi tool.

Roberto, what do I do here? Not having wifi working isn't something I can live with :shock:
rimai

Post by rimai »

Roberto.
modulok

Post by modulok »

Looks like that worked...thanks so much!