Changing Wifi address?

Expansion modules and attachments
dadriance

Changing Wifi address?

Post by dadriance »

I had my WiFi module running perfectly for a few months, I only had to reset it once in almost 6 months. Then came Hurricane Sandy and my tank ran intermitantly for 2 weeks while I ran the generator during the day only. Ever since then, my Wifi module can't seem to hang on to an IP address. It's good for a period of time and then stops responding to the android app and the portal. The portal is still receiving data but it's listed as an "unreachable address" and I can't control anything.
Hooking it up to the computer and running the WiFi utility, and then changing the address in the router fixes the problem but only temporarily. It's usually good for a few days before this happens, sometimes as much as 2 weeks but once it was only a couple hours. I assume the module is switching it's IP address. I don't know if the problem lies with the module or the router.
Any ideas on how to fix this?
rimai

Re: Changing Wifi address?

Post by rimai »

Roberto.
dadriance

Post by dadriance »

Thanks Roberto,
The thing is, my router has not lost power or been shut off in the last few months but I still need to reconfigure my port forwarding every few days. I need to find a way to get it to stick with the current IP address. Apparently the problem is indeed with the router, I just need to figure out how to fix it.
dbmet

Post by dbmet »

What kind of router do you have? Can you assign a static ip address to the wifi module?
dadriance

Post by dadriance »

Its a Motorola Surfboard 6121. I think I may have the static IP figured out, I'll know in a few days I guess. What I don't get is, why wasn't this a problem before the power went out?
dadriance

Post by dadriance »

Apparently the router isn't the problem, or at least not the whole problem. I've assigned a "DCHP reservation" but the WiFi seems to have "disconnected itself again after a few days. This time was a little different, instead of running the wifi attachment program, getting the new IP address and editing the address for port forwarding, all I had to do this time was disconect and reconnect the Wifi module to get it to reconnect. In the past this hasn't worked, so it is an improvement but I'd prefer not to have it disconnect in the first place.
dbmet

Changing Wifi address?

Post by dbmet »

What version of firmware are you using on the wifi module?
dadriance

Post by dadriance »

I've lost track, is there a way to find out without running the setup and starting over?
dbmet

Changing Wifi address?

Post by dbmet »

Sure do you have a windows or Mac computer?
dadriance

Post by dadriance »

Windows
daniella3d

Post by daniella3d »

After I upgraded the firmware on my wifi adapter it has always reconnected on its own each time I lost connectyion.

With the new firmware when ever I unplug the router and plug it back the wifi adapter always reconnect without any intervention. I also use the DHCP reservation with the wifi mac address.

Maybe before your internet provider was not changing your IP address, and this could be why you did not have any problem? If your Internet IP does not change and nothing change, your router do not have to reassign IP. This is only a wild guess.
dbmet

Post by dbmet »

You can use the wifi config utility to check if there is a firmware update.. You can also you terraterm to connect to the wifi module and check what firmware its running..
dadriance

Post by dadriance »

Apparently, I'm good for about 4 days at a time. The android app is timing out and the portal is showing "unreachable address."