Wifi Baud Rate

Expansion modules and attachments
binder

Wifi Baud Rate

Post by binder »

Has anybody noticed any differences with the rate the wifi module connects to your network?

I know the default is to use 24Mbit. I've reprogrammed mine to operate at 54Mbit. I've been having problems with one of my wifi modules operating at that speed. I noticed that my signal would drop dramatically and I'd have to have a perfect line of site for it to work (even if it's 3 ft away from my wireless router). I was even having problems with it being about 1 ft away with nothing between it where it would connect to the network but drop packets right & left (couldn't ping it).

Just for kicks, I dropped the rate back down to the default (24Mbit) value and it started working great again for me.

Anyways, just thought I'd see if anybody else has noticed any differences and what rates you use.

curt
wolfador

Re: Wifi Baud Rate

Post by wolfador »

In my experience computers, with a G card they will rarely run at 54mbps. It is usually below that because anything can cause interference. I think with the small data amount being transferred 24vs54 would be little difference.

What did you do to set it to 54mb, I would be happy to set mine to that and test it out.
John
ReefAngel and ReefAngel-HD developer
If the RA iOS app has helped please consider a donation
binder

Re: Wifi Baud Rate

Post by binder »

Straight out of the wifi module manual:

Code: Select all

set w r RATE			Sets the wireless data rate, RATE can be:
					 0 - 1Mbit		  1 - 2Mbit		  2 - 5.5Mbit
					 3 - 11Mbit		 8 - 6Mbit		  9 - 9Mbit
					10 - 12Mbit		11 - 18Mbit		12 - 24Mbit (default)
					13 - 36Mbit		14 - 48Mbit		15 - 54Mbit
I used the command:

Code: Select all

set w r 15
curt