wifi install could use a point in the right direction

Expansion modules and attachments
ReefDevil

Re: wifi install could use a point in the right direction

Post by ReefDevil »

the google results seem to point towards something called jailbreaking the phone(apple store said thats a no no- or is that what you do? also alot of articles or how to connect to a wifi which i can do ...but not how to change the wan... all the changeing ones i can find seem to be about jailbreaking the phone....i think thats the modern version of stealing cable tv?
im totally trying but lost here.
enigma32

Post by enigma32 »

Not sure what Roberto said about WAN?

WAN == "Wide Area Network". For all intents and purposes it is "the internet", as opposed to your private home network.
VPN == "Virtual Private Network". It is a way of connecting to a private network as though you were physically at that location, but through the internet. (This is used to solve particular security problems generally... I don't think this will apply to anything you're trying to do with RA.)

<rant>
Jailbreaking a phone is a way of taking full control of your device, regardless of what the manufacturer or cell carrier thinks you should be able to do with the device you paid for. It really shouldn't be illegal (you paid for the device!) but it is [most of the time]; lots of people do it anyway because they realize they should have the right to do what they want with the device they own.
</rant>

I don't think you would need to jailbreak your phone to do anything RA-related.

I wish I could be of some help to you, but without knowing what Roberto suggested specifically (and having sworn off Apple products entirely), I'm not sure what to suggest :-(
Current setup:
60g 24" custom cube (fish and softies right now)
AI Sol Blue, Ecotech MP-10wES
Coralife skimmer
100% customer controller, transitioning to ReefAngel
ReefDevil

Post by ReefDevil »

under wifi settings there is my ip address but it doesnt seem changable under dhcp header or bootP header, under the static header the ip address is blank is this the one to change, then if so it wants a subset mask and more stuff...
is this the right spot...can i screw up my iphone if i change the wrong one...dhcp bootp and static are not in my vocabulary but it looks like this is where to change something i seem to be able to type in the static fields
enigma32

Post by enigma32 »

You can break your ability to access the internet if you change those settings. (You could, of course, change the settings back how they originally were afterward.)

DHCP essentially figures out all of those settings for you.
You would never set your own static address unless you were doing something very particular.
Current setup:
Coralife skimmer
rimai

Post by rimai »

You are looking at the wrong stuff...
All you need to do is port forwarding 2000 to your wifi attachment and use the wan ip address on the RA app.
Roberto.
ReefDevil

Post by ReefDevil »

you keep acting like its simple and I am telling you I change the ip address on the iPhone it to my reef angle wifi address and nothing works at all.. so repeating just using the wan ip address on the ra app is not working,,,,so something is not right.. but yet.if i have my home ip address in the iphone app it works, but only within my home. so is it really my iphone app thats not right or is my router not forwarded correctly... if i put in the ra wifi address nothing at all works on the iPhone... is there more than one place to change the ip address on the iphone app??... when i go to settings page of the iphone app the only ip address is the top field, changing that does not work

i get the port forwarding is done on the router and have told you the settings...its set for ...and it does work on the portal so its "wifi" right? its just not working on the phone.... and the answer of just use the wan ip address is not enough i need to know what you are telling me to do as i obviously do not know how to use the wan address...been stuck here at this point for 4-5 days,,, really thought it was all working 2-3 days ago, but have realized its only when I'm within a bout 200 feet of clear wireless.... its really gettting frustrating as i did expect the coding and using the wizzard and stuff and really did my homework b4 it arrived and managed all that pretty easily... however the wifi is very difficult and i wish i would have researched how much effort would have gone into making the wifi work. The coding with the wizzard but the wifi is really not easy at all and there is no wizzard to help with wifi. im probably about 20 hours into the reef angel total to set it all up, and have at least 50 hours into changing some setting stupid setting to work on iphone. yet all attempts to change any port numbers result in not working on iphone at all , when i use my home ip address there it all works, it works on the portal.. im not grasping the technological difference between the portal and the iphone, does the portal working and the iphone not working happen to anyone else??.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

When you try and change something on the portal does it work?

The difference between the portal and iphone app is that your ra sends data out from your home network and the iphone app needs to query your ra.

The wan ip is the "public" ip address of your network. The ip that your ra wifi adapter gets is the "private" ip in your home network.

To find out your public ip you can go to www.whatsmyip.org. That is the ip to set inside the iphone app. It goes in the address field inside the reef angel application.

To use the public ip requires that your router "forward" the port 2000 request to the private ip of your reefangel wifi module. This is not required for the portal to receive data from your wifi module.
Poiromaniax

Post by Poiromaniax »

ReefDevil wrote:you keep acting like its simple and I am telling you I change the ip address on the iPhone it to my reef angle wifi address and nothing works at all.. so repeating just using the wan ip address on the ra app is not working,,,,so something is not right.. but yet.if i have my home ip address in the iphone app it works, but only within my home. so is it really my iphone app thats not right or is my router not forwarded correctly... if i put in the ra wifi address nothing at all works on the iPhone... is there more than one place to change the ip address on the iphone app??... when i go to settings page of the iphone app the only ip address is the top field, changing that does not work

i get the port forwarding is done on the router and have told you the settings...its set for ...and it does work on the portal so its "wifi" right? its just not working on the phone.... and the answer of just use the wan ip address is not enough i need to know what you are telling me to do as i obviously do not know how to use the wan address...been stuck here at this point for 4-5 days,,, really thought it was all working 2-3 days ago, but have realized its only when I'm within a bout 200 feet of clear wireless.... its really gettting frustrating as i did expect the coding and using the wizzard and stuff and really did my homework b4 it arrived and managed all that pretty easily... however the wifi is very difficult and i wish i would have researched how much effort would have gone into making the wifi work. The coding with the wizzard but the wifi is really not easy at all and there is no wizzard to help with wifi. im probably about 20 hours into the reef angel total to set it all up, and have at least 50 hours into changing some setting stupid setting to work on iphone. yet all attempts to change any port numbers result in not working on iphone at all , when i use my home ip address there it all works, it works on the portal.. im not grasping the technological difference between the portal and the iphone, does the portal working and the iphone not working happen to anyone else??.

Im just jumping in here - havent read the whole thread cause im short on time.

For external access to your reefangel, follow my guide here : http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1190

You should not be changing any settings on your iphone settings.app (go back in there and change everything back to dhcp)

in the Reefangel APP you need to go to settings and input either a)your dynamic dns URL (e.g reefangel.dyndns.com) OR b)the actual external I.P (e.g 143.250.132.99) located using whatsmyip.org

Dynamic dns is the way to go as you wont constantly have to change settings if your connection to your ISP is re-established
enigma32

Post by enigma32 »

ReefDevil,

I think your confusion is understandable. I've been looking heavily at the wifi stuff in anticipation of receiving my hardware today, and I think I'm going to be making some modifications to the way it works for myself; hopefully others like yourself will be able to take advantage of that as well.

In the mean time, I would give lnevo's suggestion a try.
Another thing you could do, if I understand this all correctly, is
1) Get your WAN/external/public IP address from whatismyip.com (do this from a computer inside your house).
2) Try accessing that IP in a normal web browser from outside your house (or on your phone). If your IP (from whatismyip) was 12.34.56.78 and the external/WAN port is 2000 (based on the way your setup your port forwarding), you could try it like this:
http://12.34.56.78:2000

This should work in the web browser on your phone, or from a friend's/neighbor's house or work on a computer.
If it doesn't, I don't think it's worth trying to put that into the iphone RA app, because there's a problem with the port forwarding. I also wouldn't bother setting up something like dyndns/no-ip ("dynamic dns") until you know you've got it working with just the IP address, especially given the problems you've run into so far.

Hope I'm not causing information overload by adding to the comments here... :-)
I promise it isn't really that hard to do, I think it just gets confusing because of all of the terminology.
Current setup:
Coralife skimmer
Poiromaniax

Post by Poiromaniax »

Oki dokes. I have read the thread through and think I may have an idea as to why you are having problems!

I think your modem is running as DHCP server. Your reefangel may or may not be using dhcp so there are two scenarios :

A) using DHCP - every time your wifi unit or modem restarts, your wifi unit is assigned a new ip and the one that you had previously used will not work

B) Static IP - Your wifi unit may be assigned with a fixed IP address, but if it reboots/ is only turned on after the modem has been on, another device may use the IP that you have assigned to reefangel, therefore your wifi unit will not be able to connect to the network.

In both cases I recommend creating an address reservation for your wifi unit in the modems settings (if your ISP can do this remotely then perhaps ask them if you don't feel comfortable doing it)

That way you won't have the problem of other devices using the reefangels IP address AND you actually don't have to set a static IP when using this method, as the modem already has an address reserved for this purpose.

Hope this makes sense and that it actually is the answer
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Wow, you're getting a lot of responses here. It would really help if we could look at things slowly and go over piece by piece. I would ask the following questions to help narrow things down as to where your having issues:

1) What is the IP of your reefangel wifi module?
2) What IP does the portal show for your wifi module?
3) What IP do you see when you visit the web page http://www.whatsmyip.org
4) Can you control your ReefAngel through the portal or is it just showing you the data?

Let's take it slow and try and figure out where your issue is. I understand this can be frustrating. It's obvious that TCP/IP networking is not your thing. It's ok, it's not for everyone... it's quite clear you have a lot of people willing to help, so if you can try not to get too frustrated, I'm sure we'll get you up and running 100% soon!
ReefDevil

Post by ReefDevil »

First off thanks for the replies... I know it will work and I know its just a setting or something... I grew up with sinclair computers and comodore 64's so the hook it up to the unit, download etc is really like reliving a fond childhood memory. computer camp in 1980... since then however things have advance and I took a different path :). The wifi is like 20+years of what the computers have become, I honestly know that wifi means no physical cord and im starting to get what an ip address is, i can get to the porting part of my router from my mac computer at home.

Inevos ?'s above..
#1 My ip on my reefangel wifi module is 75.95.xxx.xxx:2000(im not sure of this though see #5 below)
#2 im hoping my answer to number one is the same as #1,thats where im getting it from 75.95.xxx.xxx (blue ink on top right of the portal)

#3 at whatsmy ip.org it says same 75.95.xxx.xxx:2000
#4 i can control the ra thru the portal totally from my home thats why im so confused...have not had a way to check it from a remote location but can tomorrow night as its my weekend with my kids and i could have them see if like the lights turn off or not if i log in at a neighbors house

#5... i have tried puting the 75.95.xxx.xxx:2000 into the iphone app and it does not work even in my home , the iphone does work great when in my house and its set for 192.168.1.10 .... the portal works no matter what the iphone setting is set at...

im able to access the router and and change lan and nat setup settings , however i really dont understand the buttons, i can press them

thanks again and if any more info is needed i will be checking this post often.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Everything is working and all you need to do is change the address field of RA app to http://75.95.xxx.xxx and the port field to 2000 and turning direct connect on. You mentioned you already tried and it didn't work.
So, my speculation is that your router doesn't implement loopback, which means that if you are connected to your wifi, you can't see your wan ip address (75.75.xxx.xxx) and that's why it doesn't work.
If this is the case, it is a restriction imposed by your router and there is nothing you can do about it.
I have the same problem on my cisco router. I can't access stuff that comes back to my own internal network.
I sent you a PM with a link to confirm my thoughts.
Roberto.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I think you need to also understand that the ip address does not include :2000 that is the port number that the module uses.

As roberto said just put http://75.95.xxx.yyy in the Address field and 2000 in the port field and enable direct connect.

Then try it from x00 feet where your not on the wifi. If it works there and not closer then roberto suspicion is correct.
ReefDevil

Post by ReefDevil »

thanks inevo , and roberto .. roberto has sent me a few things to try, and get back to him to see if it helps with diagnosis....

it does seem like the wifi connection (portal works) is good and the clearspot 4g is by murphys law the wrong kind of internet, if so im gonna call clear and see if they can get me a different device if there is a preffered type of router (im assuming they sell them with the loopback feature- and everyone seems to say about the provider changing the ip address (im lost for the terms here static dynamic and some kind of thingamabob that will figure out when the ip changes and must change some other settings on your behalf- sounds like a good thingamabob- ) can a different router cure this as well..??.. however that is totally secondary as now i have learned how to fish for myself if i need to get the ip address... whatsmyip.org lol...Im all ears
rimai

Post by rimai »

As I suspected, if your browser gives a blank page when you clicked the link I sent you, your router does not allow you to connect to itself. That's why you are having this confusion.
Here is what I'd like you to do.
Set the iphone just like lnevo and I said and walk away from your house, about a couple hundred feet or more, just so you disconnect from your wifi and try to connect to RA with the iphone.
What happens?
Roberto.
ReefDevil

Post by ReefDevil »

OMG you are on to something what happens is as soon as i change the setting it loses connection here in my house... i walked far away to make sure it lost the clearspot... then it works from far away...i turned the lights on and off and wahoo....the biggest indicator is when its online my ai sol lights on the display screen show percentages when it loses signal it does not display percentages there.... but when i get back in my house now it does not work on the iPhone
rimai

Post by rimai »

Confirmed that your router won't let you access RA then if you are connected to your wifi.
It doesn't implement loopback. You are in the same boat as I am.... :(
Well, technically there is a way, but complex and requires you hosting a DNS server... :(
Roberto.
ReefDevil

Post by ReefDevil »

Portal works in the house, iphone works away from the house... ..... my neighbor probably thinks im a whacko with a million smiles..... :mrgreen:
ReefDevil

Post by ReefDevil »

this works after getting the ra i moved my computer right next to my skimmer so i can plug in the ra easier...i will just use it as is.....

my it guy at work said he could set up a dns (thingamabob) for me if i could get it to work( he said he could figure whatever it is out but hes a busy guy with family and i dont wanna bug him for things i can read and play with myself) ...if any settings or info on that are avail i will give to him. and thats gonna be a long term project worst case i just figure out when my ip changes and change the one setting and its gonna work (if i follow it).... but really ..... wow its nice to know i can monitor the tank. from my phone when away.... thats priceless.... ... roberto ur a genius... sorry you had to deal with a caveman like me im probably a poster child for computer internet browser and email user who cant post pictures on webforms ...to full blown iphone running reef angel wow wow wow.... this rocks........
rimai

Post by rimai »

Cool!!
Glad we got figured out why you were having issues :)
It's not common to have routers that are like that.
Only a handful of them... You were the lucky one to get one of those :roll:
For dynamic dns, go to http://www.dyndns.info
Roberto.