wifi install could use a point in the right direction

Expansion modules and attachments
lnevo

Re: wifi install could use a point in the right direction

Post by lnevo »

Wow, you're getting a lot of responses here. It would really help if we could look at things slowly and go over piece by piece. I would ask the following questions to help narrow things down as to where your having issues:

1) What is the IP of your reefangel wifi module?
2) What IP does the portal show for your wifi module?
3) What IP do you see when you visit the web page http://www.whatsmyip.org
4) Can you control your ReefAngel through the portal or is it just showing you the data?

Let's take it slow and try and figure out where your issue is. I understand this can be frustrating. It's obvious that TCP/IP networking is not your thing. It's ok, it's not for everyone... it's quite clear you have a lot of people willing to help, so if you can try not to get too frustrated, I'm sure we'll get you up and running 100% soon!
ReefDevil

Post by ReefDevil »

First off thanks for the replies... I know it will work and I know its just a setting or something... I grew up with sinclair computers and comodore 64's so the hook it up to the unit, download etc is really like reliving a fond childhood memory. computer camp in 1980... since then however things have advance and I took a different path :). The wifi is like 20+years of what the computers have become, I honestly know that wifi means no physical cord and im starting to get what an ip address is, i can get to the porting part of my router from my mac computer at home.

Inevos ?'s above..
#1 My ip on my reefangel wifi module is 75.95.xxx.xxx:2000(im not sure of this though see #5 below)
#2 im hoping my answer to number one is the same as #1,thats where im getting it from 75.95.xxx.xxx (blue ink on top right of the portal)

#3 at whatsmy ip.org it says same 75.95.xxx.xxx:2000
#4 i can control the ra thru the portal totally from my home thats why im so confused...have not had a way to check it from a remote location but can tomorrow night as its my weekend with my kids and i could have them see if like the lights turn off or not if i log in at a neighbors house

#5... i have tried puting the 75.95.xxx.xxx:2000 into the iphone app and it does not work even in my home , the iphone does work great when in my house and its set for 192.168.1.10 .... the portal works no matter what the iphone setting is set at...

im able to access the router and and change lan and nat setup settings , however i really dont understand the buttons, i can press them

thanks again and if any more info is needed i will be checking this post often.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Everything is working and all you need to do is change the address field of RA app to http://75.95.xxx.xxx and the port field to 2000 and turning direct connect on. You mentioned you already tried and it didn't work.
So, my speculation is that your router doesn't implement loopback, which means that if you are connected to your wifi, you can't see your wan ip address (75.75.xxx.xxx) and that's why it doesn't work.
If this is the case, it is a restriction imposed by your router and there is nothing you can do about it.
I have the same problem on my cisco router. I can't access stuff that comes back to my own internal network.
I sent you a PM with a link to confirm my thoughts.
Roberto.
lnevo

wifi install could use a point in the right direction

Post by lnevo »

I think you need to also understand that the ip address does not include :2000 that is the port number that the module uses.

As roberto said just put http://75.95.xxx.yyy in the Address field and 2000 in the port field and enable direct connect.

Then try it from x00 feet where your not on the wifi. If it works there and not closer then roberto suspicion is correct.
ReefDevil

Post by ReefDevil »

thanks inevo , and roberto .. roberto has sent me a few things to try, and get back to him to see if it helps with diagnosis....

it does seem like the wifi connection (portal works) is good and the clearspot 4g is by murphys law the wrong kind of internet, if so im gonna call clear and see if they can get me a different device if there is a preffered type of router (im assuming they sell them with the loopback feature- and everyone seems to say about the provider changing the ip address (im lost for the terms here static dynamic and some kind of thingamabob that will figure out when the ip changes and must change some other settings on your behalf- sounds like a good thingamabob- ) can a different router cure this as well..??.. however that is totally secondary as now i have learned how to fish for myself if i need to get the ip address... whatsmyip.org lol...Im all ears
rimai

Post by rimai »

As I suspected, if your browser gives a blank page when you clicked the link I sent you, your router does not allow you to connect to itself. That's why you are having this confusion.
Here is what I'd like you to do.
Set the iphone just like lnevo and I said and walk away from your house, about a couple hundred feet or more, just so you disconnect from your wifi and try to connect to RA with the iphone.
What happens?
Roberto.
ReefDevil

Post by ReefDevil »

OMG you are on to something what happens is as soon as i change the setting it loses connection here in my house... i walked far away to make sure it lost the clearspot... then it works from far away...i turned the lights on and off and wahoo....the biggest indicator is when its online my ai sol lights on the display screen show percentages when it loses signal it does not display percentages there.... but when i get back in my house now it does not work on the iPhone
rimai

Post by rimai »

Confirmed that your router won't let you access RA then if you are connected to your wifi.
It doesn't implement loopback. You are in the same boat as I am.... :(
Well, technically there is a way, but complex and requires you hosting a DNS server... :(
Roberto.
ReefDevil

Post by ReefDevil »

Portal works in the house, iphone works away from the house... ..... my neighbor probably thinks im a whacko with a million smiles..... :mrgreen:
ReefDevil

Post by ReefDevil »

this works after getting the ra i moved my computer right next to my skimmer so i can plug in the ra easier...i will just use it as is.....

my it guy at work said he could set up a dns (thingamabob) for me if i could get it to work( he said he could figure whatever it is out but hes a busy guy with family and i dont wanna bug him for things i can read and play with myself) ...if any settings or info on that are avail i will give to him. and thats gonna be a long term project worst case i just figure out when my ip changes and change the one setting and its gonna work (if i follow it).... but really ..... wow its nice to know i can monitor the tank. from my phone when away.... thats priceless.... ... roberto ur a genius... sorry you had to deal with a caveman like me im probably a poster child for computer internet browser and email user who cant post pictures on webforms ...to full blown iphone running reef angel wow wow wow.... this rocks........
rimai

Post by rimai »

Cool!!
Glad we got figured out why you were having issues :)
It's not common to have routers that are like that.
Only a handful of them... You were the lucky one to get one of those :roll:
For dynamic dns, go to http://www.dyndns.info
Roberto.