PWM to dimming

Expansion modules and attachments
thekameleon

PWM to dimming

Post by thekameleon »

So I have a dimming module and as opposed to buying a new meanwell driver, I was hoping to use a spare dimming module and the research I have seen says I can use a RC filter to "smooth" out the signal. With that in mind I was thinking 500 ohm resister and 100uf Capacitor. Does this sound right, assuming the frequency of the PWM driver is 500 hz.
rimai

Re: PWM to dimming

Post by rimai »

Do you mean you have analog drivers, but you have PWM dimming module and you are trying to make it work?
If so, yes... The RC filter works just fine as long as it is place prior to the booster.
In fact, that's how the relay box and the analog dimming module converts the signal.
You can send me your module for modification if you would like.
Roberto.
thekameleon

Post by thekameleon »

I'd just need one channel as dimming, I want the other 5 PWM... When you say prior to the booster, you mean between the PWM expansion module and the meanwell driver? Also, what value for the capacitor and resister should I use?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Well, all 6 channels are for dimming.
PWM signals can be used for dimming too.
So, what you are saying is that you want your module to do 5 channels PWM and 1 channel analog?
Roberto.
thekameleon

Post by thekameleon »

Yes sir, and I am just wanting to know what the right resistor and capacitor values should be to smooth out the PWM signal to an analog one.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I use 10K and 10uF, but you need to place it before the booster, which will require you to mod the module.
Can you solder SMD components?
Roberto.
thekameleon

Post by thekameleon »

OK so I assume the booster is what converts the voltage to 10 volts? Why would putting the RC circuit after the booster be an issue?... just curious
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, the booster is what converts it to 10V.
I've tried it in the past and had bad results.
Some equipment do just fine with it after, but for example meanwell drivers just don't work too well.
It will output a very weak signal which may not be enough for what you are trying to control.
Roberto.