SpeedWave/Jebao DC pumps

Expansion modules and attachments
Sleepingtiger

Re: SpeedWave/Jebao DC pumps

Post by Sleepingtiger »

I was thinking about this. Its really a piggy back on Roberto's single drain Herbie type overflow. If you're not familiar with the Herbie overflow, it uses 2 or 3 drains. The idea is to use the water level module and the DC pump to you're advantage and get rid of all your mp40 and other wave making pumps. This would be perfect as wave box if you have a large enough overflow box. Say at 20% is when the drain would start sucking in air and would loose full siphon. So RA would ramp up the DC pump to run at 100% until the overflow box is at 80% full, then slow down the DC pump to 20% until the water level of the overflow is 30%. This will be a great idea for those who doesn't have the new calflo overflow and have the reef ready tanks with the back corner overflow box. As a matter a fact, you don't need a DC pump. However, I would be weary as to the constant on/off of a regular pump.
At night time, for a slow flow, instead of ramping up your pump to full power, you can do 50%. This is ofcourse dependent what percent your dc pump will be required to run to maintain a constant level in your sump.

for fast waves, instead of filling your overflow box to 80%, you can have it fill up to 50% before the dc pump slows down again. the possibilities are endless. only negative about this is you would be better off using the water level module for your ATO as well. The water level would be going up and down constantly and having a float switch i think is a bad idea.