Bluetooth Attachment

Expansion modules and attachments
rimai

Re: Bluetooth Attachment

Post by rimai »

Yes, RNBT-41F0 is the RA bluetooth. That's the default name from the manufacturer with their initials. Roving Networks. The last 4 is the last 4 digits of the MAC address or whatever they call it for bluetooth.
We can change that name to whatever you want if you would like :)
I change mine to ReefAngelBT. I think spaces are not allowed though.
The outgoing was supposed to be created for you automatically.
I'm thinking that by adding it manually, something is causing it to be left open.
Roberto.
paulvisco

Post by paulvisco »

I will try a bit more tonight I will uninstall everything related to the BT device and clean up the Comm port enumerations.. reboot it and see what I get when plugging it into a different usb port..

Im ok with the name I was just looking for validation on the name to be sure I was not picking up my cats bt find me tag :)

I do have another laptop that none of this has been installed on before I can try that one as well

will post back my findings or additional questions.. Like I said im pretty sure this is a windoz issue and in no way related with the ReefAngle BT device..
paulvisco

Post by paulvisco »

ok 2nd laptop

win7 thin
installed device by discovery but this time it added the 2 ports automatically both input and output port
I have the ide configured to use the one listed as the output port but I still get a port in use just before it would start the upload. and I replaced the dll file as well.

This is getting a bit frustrating as I don't see many other ways to configure the computer to make it work

Any thoughts on how to begin to trouble shoot this issue. I can try a different Bluetooth device for the computer but I don't think that is the problem as I have used this in the past to talk with an arduino uno with a bt shield
davaraj

Post by davaraj »

I do get the same error "port in use " every time I try to upload the sketch. What I do is I disable the Bluetooth and then enable it before uploading the sketch. Sometimes have to do it more than once, before the sketch uploads.
paulvisco

Post by paulvisco »

Thank you for the suggestion

That had no effect.. I tell you im hatin win 7 more and more each night
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

I've been getting the port in use message recently, too (Win 8.1). In Arduino, I change the Serial Port to something else and then back and it works.

--Colin
paulvisco

Post by paulvisco »

tried that too still no love.. im wondering if my bt dongle is the problem wonder if a different brand might play different but it still seems like its coming down to a windows 7 issue I just don't understand why the ide thinks that the port is in use or what I may have set in windows that is capturing and holding the port..

now I sound like im rambling.. just getting frustrated with all of this.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I use it in a Win7 x64 without a problem. In fact, I tested your unit in a Win7 machine prior to shipping to you.
Let's try this:
1. Go to BT settings and remove device. This should clean up your ports.
2. Add device and it will find the RNBT device.
3. Enter the pairing code 1234 and it should install the 2 COM ports.
4. Find out which is the outgoing.
5. Use putty or teraterm or any serial terminal you may have.
6. Try opening that outgoing COM port with your serial terminal. Does it give you the same port in use?
Roberto.
paulvisco

Post by paulvisco »

ok they say the discription of insanity is repeating your same steps overand over expecting diffrent results...

I must be insane... :)

Ok so followed the above steps on my first PC and putty connected just fine blue light plus a reboot..

then i went back into the ide and opened the serial port Same thing blue light

then i uploaded my code WOO HOO!! it worked as expected..

I suupect that the past delete and using the BT wizard to find the device was the solve

Thanks Roberto and every one else for the help.. (I was sure it was a win thing along)
rimai

Post by rimai »

Awesome!!! :)
Insane is good.... I'm totally insane too...lol
Roberto.
Spotted

Post by Spotted »

Can we use the BT to program the Wifi adapter? Also does the graphic util for the wifi work in windows 8?
rimai

Post by rimai »

No, you can't program wifi with bt.
Yes, the wifi utility works on w8.
Roberto.
Papajin

Post by Papajin »

rimai wrote:Hi Guys,
I have a few boards that you can purchase in advance before they become available in the webstore.
They are going for $69.
PM me if you are interested in grabbing one of them.
Hi Roberto,

I can't pm yet, so my apologies for asking here in the thread, but do you have any of these available with an enclosure?

Dragging a laptop over to my tank is driving me nuts as I don't really have anyplace to set up shop other than the floor, so the BT module would be hugely worth it as far as I'm concerned!

Thanks!
rimai

Post by rimai »

I've got some :)
You should be able to PM now.
Roberto.
Marine007

Post by Marine007 »

I'd also like one. Tried to PM you but msg seems to sit in Outbox.
ecam

Post by ecam »

Roberto,

the bluetooth worked a few times now Im getting the upload port is busy. I have rebooted the RA unit and uninstalled and reinstalled the BT module. Please advise

The WIFI is working fine
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

When that happens to me I either have to reboot the computer or go to tools in the Arduino app and change the port to the other port and then back.

My system uses port 4 and 5 and to upload it should be 4 so I change it from 4 to 5 and then back to 4 and it usually works.
ecam

Post by ecam »

Roberto, can please assist me with this attachment. ive uninstalled and reinstalled 10x times, i've switched the ports ive rebooted the controller. and still the same error:

Serial port COM7 already in use. try quitting any progams that may be using it.

i even waited 4 days before trying again. Please advise. getting very frustrated with this one.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Port already in use is a windows thing. It has nothing to do with the module.
Try this:
Click the BT icon on the right bottom corner and choose show devices
Right click the BT attachment and choose remove
Then click add device and install it again.
Confirm that both your com ports were installed correctly and make sure you are using the outgoing com port when you pick it in Arduino.
Roberto.
89delta

Post by 89delta »

When is the BT adapter going to be in the store?
rimai

Post by rimai »

If you want one, just PM me.
Roberto.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

What version of BT does this run?

--Colin
rimai

Post by rimai »

Roberto.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

So here's something interesting.

In the past, the BT attachment had worked pretty well for me. Occasional "Port in use" errors, but that's it. Recently, it became pretty much unusable. It would either be a port in use error, or it would time out while trying to upload.

The fix? I moved my computer's BT adapter closer to the tank using a USB repeater cable. Now it works perfectly. I haven't even seen any port in use errors (unexpected benefit).

My theory is that the port in use errors are a sign of iffy signal strength and the RF noise in the house finally got to the point to where it interfered too much making the intermittent problems constant. Moving the computer's BT adapter away from the computer and a little closer to the tank seems to have solved everything.

Here's the cable I'm using. It's longer than I needed, but it's cheap. :mrgreen:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HYJ ... UTF8&psc=1

--Colin
paperdesk

Post by paperdesk »

I thought I'd post my experience with the bluetooth attachment in case it may be of help to someone.

First of all, my computer quit shortly before I got the bluetooth adapter, so initially I used my wife's computer. The bluetooth adapter on her computer has always been weak. I had mixed results. I frequently got the "port's already in use" error as well as one or two others that I don't remember the specifics on.

Next, I tried it on a really old computer. i got it to work twice, but otherwise it usually started sending the code and just got hung in the middle.

A week or so ago I got a new notebook with a normal (i.e. strong) built it bluetooth adapter. I initially forgot to update the file Roberto linked to on the first page of this thread, but after doing that I have had no more trouble. I can now send code from every room of my house, and have never had a single error or failure!

Ted
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Hmm will have to check that file update. Maybe thats why I have some issues. I never got mine to sync properly ever.
pandimus

Post by pandimus »

Any particular bt dongle that works best? My computer is maybe 12 feet away up one floor
pandimus

Post by pandimus »

I finally got mine in.. It took about an hour and half to get it up and running.. One thing I would like to stress.. You need to disconnect your wifi from the reef angel, plug the bt into the reef angel with new cable.. Then use old cable to hook wifi up to the bt module.. I kept getting timeout errors even though my wifi was working...
snoopy60

Post by snoopy60 »

just got my adaptor. pugged it in, paired it, changed the dll file, and it worked perfectly in 2 minutes.
Question, after I upload new code, it doesn't seem to want to take effect until I go back to the head unit and unplug the BT. Once I unplug it, I can plug it right back in and everything is fine. Is this normal? (a small bother since i bought the BT so i wouldn't have to go back and forth. Before i got the BT i don't remember if i had to unplug the cable for it to start using the uploaded code). As always everybody, thanks for your help
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

No that's not normal. Mine takes effect right after the upload is done.

I'm not sure what would be causing that.

What OS are you uploading from?