Expansion modules and attachments
Smotz

Re: Bluetooth Attachment

Post by Smotz »

interested once it becomes mainstream.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I've used it a couple of time since I got it Tuesday and it is really nice not to have to unplug the laptop, carry it over there, unplug the WiFI adapter, plug in the TTL to USB cable and then reverse everything when you are done.

Once I replaced the rxtxSerial.dl file it's been running smoothly.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

I had a couple of issues with RF noise due to my environment, but other than that and the rxtx file issue (an arduino issue not specific to RA) its a dream. It's great being able to change things on the fly without all the setup.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Colin;

Aren't you the same guy that said this...
cosmith71 wrote: I use a USB extension cable and sit on the couch. Nice and comfy. :D

--Colin
:lol:
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Yes, but now I don't even have to get up to switch the cable. Life is good. :mrgreen:

Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

cosmith71 wrote:Yes, but now I don't even have to get up to switch the cable. Life is good. :mrgreen:

That's what I was saying. :D
Roberto is a god.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

cosmith71 wrote:Yes, but now I don't even have to get up to switch the cable. Life is good. :mrgreen:

+1

If anyone gets it to working on Linux or can test the range on it :) My computer is downstairs and my wife's computer is a few rooms away.... would be great to use them though, but I know bluetooh range is like 20-30 feet and I doubt it would work through walls.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Mine works through two walls with no problems.

Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Mine is currently about 14-15 feet away and it has to go thru 1 wall, kind of.
There is a wall separating the 2 rooms, but there is also a door the end of the wall, so I''m not sure if it is going thru the wall or the door.

If Bluetooth goes in a straight line then it is going thru the wall, if not it could be going thru the door and kind of making 2 right turns.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Radio waves don't make turns :)
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Sacohen wrote:

That's what I was saying. :D
Roberto is a god.
You forgot "genius". :ugeek:
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Well that is implied.
Appleseed

Post by Appleseed »

Help, I would like one too but Roberto's mailbox must be full as my pm is stuck my outbox :(
rimai

Post by rimai »

I got it ...
It comes out of the outbox when I read it :)
Roberto.
Appleseed

Post by Appleseed »

cheers,
payment sent... now hopefully it wont get stuck in customs for too long while I patiently chew my finger nails waiting for the post man.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I found a new use for the Bluetooth adapter.

This morning I was having problems with the Wifi signal getting to the portal and to the Andriod app, so I wanted to re-boot the Reef Angel, but I couldn't do it via Wifi in any matter.

My WiFi to the house was working because I could remotely access my laptop via Team Viewer so I logged in to the laptop, launch the Arduino IDE and re-uploaded my current code, which forced the RA to re-boot at the end.

That actually wasn't the fix to the problem, but at least I could rule that out without having to wait until I got home to re-boot it.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

:geek:

Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Hey it worked. :mrgreen:
Piper

Post by Piper »

After messing around with it for several hours I finally got mine working!! I picked up a SMK Link VP6495 Nano Dongle from Fry's today since it was on sale. Everything seemed to install fine but it came up with two inbound ports by default and no outbound ports. I had to manually add the outbound port and I was never able to get it to work.

After uninstalling the mfg software, deleting the dongle in the Device Manager, and re-installing using the Windows 7 default drivers it worked as expected.

So much better than stringing out the cable and unplugging/replugging the wifi :)

~Charlie
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

I had similar issues with the manufacturer's drivers on the BT I got. Windows drivers work fine.

If anyone has problems finding the COM port under Windows 8, it's here:

Control panel -> Devices and Printers, find "RN42-FF47", right click, Properties, hardware tab. There will be an entry for "Standard Serial over Bluetooth link (COM#). This is the COM you use.

--Colin
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I love this thing.

I wanted to make a small change to the delay on something in my code and connected to the house, opened up Arduino IDE, made the change and uploaded it.

Now when I get home that's one less thing I have to do before I can sit down and relax.
bhazard

Post by bhazard »

Getting "Error Uploading", even though I found the COM port and all. Win8 x64.
Piper

Post by Piper »

bhazard wrote:Getting "Error Uploading", even though I found the COM port and all. Win8 x64.
Do you have an inbound and outbound com port? Did you install the software that came with your BT dongle? When I used the included drivers I could not get it to work at all. After uninstalling and reinstalling without the manufacturers drivers I was able to get it to work.

Sometimes when it sits for a while I have to physically remove and re-seat the adapter in the USB slot.

~Charlie
bhazard

Post by bhazard »

Piper wrote:
bhazard wrote:Getting "Error Uploading", even though I found the COM port and all. Win8 x64.
Do you have an inbound and outbound com port? Did you install the software that came with your BT dongle? When I used the included drivers I could not get it to work at all. After uninstalling and reinstalling without the manufacturers drivers I was able to get it to work.

Sometimes when it sits for a while I have to physically remove and re-seat the adapter in the USB slot.

~Charlie
Yep to all. Going to try a different usb port
Piper

Post by Piper »

Others have posted that it takes a few times before it will go through too. My problem is that it takes 5 minutes before it starts to upload so I have to start it and walk away for a while :/
rimai

Post by rimai »

Piper wrote:Others have posted that it takes a few times before it will go through too. My problem is that it takes 5 minutes before it starts to upload so I have to start it and walk away for a while :/
It's something to do with the windows communication.. I've got this problem too. It seems that windows thinks the COM port is being used by something, but then a few tries later it doesn't think that anymore. It's weird.
I noticed that if I open Bluetooth attached devices and go to properties of the BT attachment, and then to COM ports, it refreshes it and it helps with the com port being used.
Roberto.
Piper

Post by Piper »

Roberto - Is that for the COM port in use issue or the slow compiling part? It takes me at good 4 or 5 minutes just to get to the point that it starts to upload. It's that with the cable and with the BT. A few tries to upload will clear the port in use issue sometimes.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Piper;

Did you replace the rxtxSerial.dll file as directed on the first post.
I remember that my connection was very slow and sporadic when I first set it up until I replaced the file.
I'm running Windows 7 though.

Just a thought or suggestion.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Piper wrote:Roberto - Is that for the COM port in use issue or the slow compiling part? It takes me at good 4 or 5 minutes just to get to the point that it starts to upload. It's that with the cable and with the BT. A few tries to upload will clear the port in use issue sometimes.
The compiling taking long is your computer :(
You need a newer one :)
I compile in a few seconds.
Roberto.
Piper

Post by Piper »

I don't think it's the computer :) It didn't take that long when I first started using the RA. I'll have to re-install the Arduino IDE and see of that makes a difference. But enough thread hijacking for now :)