WIFI Module Dead

Expansion modules and attachments
clw143

WIFI Module Dead

Post by clw143 »

I have had my RA for less than two weeks. Last night my Wifi Module died, no lights, no response plugging it into the RA head unit, no response plugging it into USB to the computer, no response doing a hard manual reset per the Wifi manual using jumper J1. Lights are permanently out. There does not seem to be anything physically wrong to the board in the module.

What should I do?
rimai

Re: WIFI Module Dead

Post by rimai »

Send it back.
PM for details.
Roberto.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Oh, you may need to post a couple more times to be allowed.
Roberto.
clw143

Post by clw143 »

2nd post
clw143

Post by clw143 »

3rd post
clw143

Post by clw143 »

4th
clw143

Post by clw143 »

5 is the lucky post (so I have read)!
wideawake

Post by wideawake »

I'm having this issue as well. I already contacted Roberto for RMA, but the cost to send the part over and get it back from where I am is almost the price of the unit itself.

For my case, the module wakes up after overnight sitting unplugged, but dies again after around 6-7 hours usage. I'm hoping this is more of a software issue than hardware. Let us know the outcome when you get to inspect TS's unit. I'm holding off sending the item until we know what went wrong.
clw143

Post by clw143 »

I got my new Wifi Module this week very promptly, thanks for that Roberto.

I am having a few issues with the new module I can't seem to explain, maybe someone can help.

The first module went lights out no matter what you did, the code that was in the controller when that happened was in the controller for about a week and not one connection issue had occurred during that time. The new module was set up with the Wifi Utility and port 2000 was mapped to the address it was given. I plugged the module into the controller with the unchanged code and the android app and the portal worked great, green light flashing slowly with random flashes of yellow for communication, for only about two minutes, then not able to connect, waited a while, still no connection.

After a few resets and different IP addresses, I got new firmware in my router which was way over due, and got the same results connection for a minute then none, eliminated mixed mode for wifi in the router, same results, used the wizard to create vanilla code, same results.

I was thinking it was the router but I have 3 other forwarded ports for the outside world to see and never have issues with those. I tried to update the Wifi Module firmware from the utility and it seems to start then gives an error.

So up to that point I think Wifi module, but here comes the unexplainable as mentioned above, the web sever for the controller works if you access its local IP (192.168.1.102:2000)

What am I missing?
clw143

Post by clw143 »

Well I'm not sure exactly of what happened.

But it is working now, so far.

I did a factory reset from teraterm and it would not use DHCP to get an IP address, I did set ip address and gateway and disabled DHCP in the module and it still flashed with the green and blue combination of colors, many resets later with no luck I performed the J1 jumper reset in the manual which in this case was pretty hard since it is not a jumper and instead it is a button, follows the same procedure just harder to perform. This time going through the set up it found DHCP and acquired the same IP I already had port 2000 forwarded to. It connected and seems to have been for about half hour, seems ok so far. Hard reset seems to be different somehow vs. the factory RESET and reboot from teraterm.
wideawake

Post by wideawake »

Yesterday I plugged mine to the PC and tried to run a firmware upgrade. But it seems that the connection to the module is intermittent. And after an hour or so, the module stopped flashing at all. This morning I plugged it in and lights flashed again. Overheating? Looks most likely a hardware issue. I think I'll send it in.