Evergrow/Reefbreeders LED 0-10v expansion dimming

Expansion modules and attachments
bhazard

Post by bhazard »

It seems that a 0-10v signal actually can dim the drivers inside the Evergrow/Reefbreeders fixtures.

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/58230-int ... /?p=504763

There still seems to be some current flowing back into the dimming expansion itself, but it looks like these lights might be able to be connected to the DIM+, DIM- wires directly from the driver.

If I could find out a way to safely "short" the other two wires (ground and fan?), I might give this a shot on my IT2080s.

Anyone with more electrical know how to chime in? Reef Angel 0-10v control would be an incredible addition to these very capable led fixtures.
rossbryant1956

Re: Evergrow/Reefbreeders LED 0-10v expansion dimming

Post by rossbryant1956 »

Are you following this discussion on WAMAS? I was about to post a link then saw your post. Come on RA engineers, help us out.
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I haven't even seen one, let alone help with internal electronics of the fixture.
What I can tell is that if he's able to control with voltage, I find it hard to believe that the fixture is controlled by resistance as mentioned before.
Roberto.
Smotz

Post by Smotz »

Tagging along as I have an IT2040
89delta

Post by 89delta »

I din't have a IT series but I do have a programmable 120w series. I opened mine up so I could use the pwm expansion modual code with weather on it. Unfortunately it can work. Downside is that there are three relays in mine that come on the same time the lighting channels begins to ramp up and off after ramp down. You can't do a channel offset on it as the LEDs would flash erradically. But don't fret....with some ingenuity it can be done as i'm still trying to figure it out....the other downside is that the lighting part of the code doesn't play well with these drivers as they are slow to respond.
mrrw60

Post by mrrw60 »

The D12 is not resistance dimming. You will need analog dim outputs to make it work.
Clip the driver input wires from pins 1 and 2. Solder your analog output leads to the drivers input wires, short pins 3 and 4 and it works great! Fans ramp up and down with the light intensity as well. FYI the drivers will not dim to zero. Nor does the the led fixture dim in stock form.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

How low does it go? Good news..very happy to hear that these are pretty easy to mod now...too bad d120 is discontinued...now we'll have to see how to do it with it2040 i think is the replacement..
mrrw60

Post by mrrw60 »

Goes no lower that 10%. They are not discontinued. Maybe on the Reef Breeder website. These fixtures are available on Ebay. The Reef Breeders model is no different than the Ebay options other than a couple LED color changes. Plus they were charging $70.00 more than the normal price Evergrow was selling them for and a 3 week delivery delay. I suspect they were collecting money to make a large order to get a cheaper price. Other than that the fixture is great for the money. My corals seem to like it more than the DIY Cree setup I was running. The light has been running for 3 weeks now and I am actually seeing rapid coal growth.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

The replacement for the d120 is the d2040 (as opposed to the it2040 i mentioned previously). All the other brands (reefbreeders, reef radiance, ocean revive?) are all oem from evergrow. There's a lot of supply still out there so we are still going to see a lot of d120 on the market. And hopefully as you said the main difference being a couple of leds.

Even if i dont get RA control unless something else comes out these will be my next lighting upgrade.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Oh and 10% is pretty awesome. I think even the meanwell eln are 15%
mrrw60

Post by mrrw60 »

You are correct on the Meanwell drivers. There are some D120's out there with PWM drivers but no confirmation on 0% to 100% dim ranges. I am fine with the 10% I am getting now. I plan on upgrading to the Radion when I get my tax refund in Feb..
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

These lights are down to $120 on eBay...think I'll be grabbing some soon...

So analog control..cut wires on 1+2 connect splice to dimming exp. and short 3+4? Thats it?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

So analog control..cut wires on 1+2 connect splice to dimming exp. and short 3+4? Thats it?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

lnevo

Post by lnevo »

mrrw60

Post by mrrw60 »

You are correct on the wiring. I used a cat 5 cable. Drilled a hole in the center between the AC plugs put a grommet in the hole ran the wire though, tied a not on the inside of the chassis and wired the leads up to the drivers and used two leads to go to a 12v led moonlight strip I got off Ebay and attached those leads to the Moonphase expansion module and the driver input wires to the analog outputs from the relay box. I think there was a pair of wires left if you wanted to direct connect the fans but I left the fans on the dim boards and they ramp up and down with the percentage of the brightness from the leds. These lights are the best bang for the buck that I have found.
Attachments
Moved from the nano to the new tank last weekend. Moonlights on at 80%
Moved from the nano to the new tank last weekend. Moonlights on at 80%
image001.jpg (411.64 KiB) Viewed 6520 times
mrrw60

Post by mrrw60 »

Pic of the tank with lights on. The lights are not fully tuned in yet and no final aquascape.
Attachments
DSCF0246.jpg
DSCF0246.jpg (103.99 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
deputy1234

Post by deputy1234 »

lnevo wrote:These lights are down to $120 on eBay...think I'll be grabbing some soon...

Forgive me as and trying to figure out what mean by short 3+4. Does that mean connect 3+4 wires together?

Thanks.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Yep
deputy1234

Post by deputy1234 »

lnevo wrote:Yep
Thanks Inevo,

Just wondering, did you have success with the mode and did you run into any trouble?

Another question, would I be able to control 2 or 3 D120 without a dimming expansion?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Each one is going to have two drivers. I think the ports can handle multiple drivers...I dont know if 3 each. Roberto may have a better idea.

I am planning to pick some of these up soon. The price is dropping because they were replaced by d2040 and people trying to get rid of stock. How much lower than $120 with shipping can they get??? I will be getting a dimming expansion but maybe not right away...we'll see what the budget allows..
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

mrrw60 wrote:Pic of the tank with lights on. The lights are not fully tuned in yet and no final aquascape.
Can we see some pics at 10%?

Can you get good mix variations despite the 10%? I'm definitely grabbing a pair soon but i need to replace the dimming module I have.. Want to be able to get a nice sunrise/sunset effect :) and what happens at 0% flicker or will they shut off...so i'll still need relays...and probably more than the two I'm using now...

Be pulling the plug soon... :)
deputy1234

Post by deputy1234 »

Thanks again Inevo.

Roberto,

Would I be able to use two or three D120 Fixtures for the dimming ports? The white of both fixtures in one port and blues in the other?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Each dimming port can handle 5 drivers easily.
Roberto.
deputy1234

Post by deputy1234 »

Thanks Roberto,
mrrw60

Post by mrrw60 »

deputy1234 wrote:
lnevo wrote:These lights are down to $120 on eBay...think I'll be grabbing some soon...

Forgive me as and trying to figure out what mean by short 3+4. Does that mean connect 3+4 wires together?

Thanks.
Yep
mrrw60

Post by mrrw60 »

lnevo wrote:
mrrw60 wrote:Pic of the tank with lights on. The lights are not fully tuned in yet and no final aquascape.
Can we see some pics at 10%?

Can you get good mix variations despite the 10%? I'm definitely grabbing a pair soon but i need to replace the dimming module I have.. Want to be able to get a nice sunrise/sunset effect :) and what happens at 0% flicker or will they shut off...so i'll still need relays...and probably more than the two I'm using now...

Be pulling the plug soon... :)
I dropped mine down to 0% with the controller and before the mods and I do not see flicker like you do with the Meanwells. But they do not dim to zero as some of the sellers are posting on Ebay.
mrrw60

Post by mrrw60 »

Blues and moonlights on. I will get another pic uploaded in the morning when the the sunrise and sunset phase starts
Attachments
DSCF0248.jpg
DSCF0248.jpg (90.59 KiB) Viewed 6675 times
mrrw60

Post by mrrw60 »

pic with D120 off
Attachments
DSC00147.jpg
DSC00147.jpg (97.39 KiB) Viewed 6674 times
thoughtiknew

Post by thoughtiknew »

I also have this working and I am in the process of modding it even farther to include a PNP transistor on wires 3+4 so that when the channel sets to 5% or less the channel shuts off this will free up 2 relay ports. I would like to know what the max current draw that would be allowable on the dimming expansion port so that I can source an appropriate transistor

Ryan

As a side note why can't I add my web banner to my signature when I try it gives me an error about links not allowed