Evergrow/Reefbreeders LED 0-10v expansion dimming

Expansion modules and attachments
KCReefer

Re: Evergrow/Reefbreeders LED 0-10v expansion dimming

Post by KCReefer »

How has the longevity been for your modification? any issues?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

No issues so far.
CBRpilot

Post by CBRpilot »

anyone know how many lights could one run with a standard reef angel plus? assuming PVM lights and RA.

time to clean my lights and I think I should mod them while I have them apart (I have 3 on a 6' tank).

thanks for the help!
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

You should be able to dim 3-4 drivers off one dimming port IIRC
CBRpilot

Post by CBRpilot »

That's awesome, I'll get after it this weekend.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Got my SB ReefLights all modded up. I used a stereo headphone jack placed in one of the dimmer pot holes and made a wiring harness using a 4 pin circuit board connector so it's all just plug in with no cutting into the original wiring. Works great. My only gripe is that these drivers don't dim to off so it took a little bit of coding and 2 ports on my relay box to get it to work properly.
20160521_062028(1).jpg
20160521_062028(1).jpg (409.62 KiB) Viewed 8284 times
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Nice work.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

cosmith71 wrote:Got my SB ReefLights all modded up. I used a stereo headphone jack placed in one of the dimmer pot holes and made a wiring harness using a 4 pin circuit board connector so it's all just plug in with no cutting into the original wiring. Works great. My only gripe is that these drivers don't dim to off so it took a little bit of coding and 2 ports on my relay box to get it to work properly.
20160521_062028(1).jpg
Very interesting. I'm about to attempt this with my 2 Marsaqua (almost identical).

Would you have any videos/pictures, tips on how to go about it ? I'd rather not cut into it if possible and definitely like your idea. Any thoughts on where/what to get in terms of exact parts ?

Thanks!
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-100645- ... ge_o01_s00

http://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Plastic-St ... ge_o01_s00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301822047360?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I cut the stereo cable in half to make two cables. Bare ends to the dimming module. I removed one of the dimmer knobs and put the stereo jack in its place and then soldered up a harness with some hookup wire and the 3 pin connectors. I did zero cutting to the case or original wiring.

--Colin
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Troylong45 is also selling kits for this. I think he was working with roberto to get them in the store too
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

Random thought (and probably stupidly obvious) - I'm about to butcher my Marsaqua and realised I couldn't find any easy way to control (dim) my lights software wise (android app or portal). Have I missed something ? I used the Parabola setting in the Wizard, offseted the times for Daylight and actinic, picked start end % but.. from there on, is there a way to actually control and dim the lights ?

From what I see it looks like I'd need to re-write the code should I want to change the current intensity ? I see that from the portal it is possible to play with a Jebao in realtime for example, changing its setting and intensity so it must be possible to send values to the memory for the daylight and actinic variable ? I must be missing something..
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

If you're just looking to set them to a particular value, the Android app is the best way. Just long press on the value and it'll pull up an override slider.
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

cosmith71 wrote:If you're just looking to set them to a particular value, the Android app is the best way. Just long press on the value and it'll pull up an override slider.
that's exactly it! awesome, thanks.

Seems like a fairly common feature that is well hidden :) Not that it is super useful but still fun
astralmind

Post by astralmind »

So I've managed to make the dimmer work with the standard PWM (Analog in this case) channels on the RA and as expected, analog doesn't dim to 0% but that's find. What bugs me however is the high pitch whine sound that seems to be heard only at low %, I don't recall hearing that before. In fact, oddly enough, it seems like the fans are actually ramping up and down following the % dim while they were always running 100% regardless before the mod when using the pot.

Any thoughts ?
madweazl

Post by madweazl »

cosmith71 wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-100645- ... ge_o01_s00

http://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Plastic-St ... ge_o01_s00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301822047360?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I cut the stereo cable in half to make two cables. Bare ends to the dimming module. I removed one of the dimmer knobs and put the stereo jack in its place and then soldered up a harness with some hookup wire and the 3 pin connectors. I did zero cutting to the case or original wiring.

--Colin
I have the requisite connectors and was about to wire up the adapter but wanted to make sure all that was needed was the 0-10v and ground connections on the 3 pin header.

Edit: disregard; tested it out and it works :) Only issue I have is the 3.5mm jacks I purchased are significantly smaller than the holes for the manual dimmers. Not sure if I'm going to drill another hole or use a washer yet.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Washer is nice and simple.