UPS Backup??

Expansion modules and attachments
Paulturner911

UPS Backup??

Post by Paulturner911 »

Basically we are heading in to storm season here in south fl and I would like a simple but effective fail safe to create current in my tank. Ive seen a few mentions of people using the Tunze batt backup on the WP40 Pumps. Id like to know what I would need to do this or could I just run a generic UPS and have the WP transfomer plugged in, when the power goes out will the pump remain on but only at 100%? I obviously dont expect to run my MH lamps or have a fully functioning system, but atleast the WP40 and maybe a moonlight on something.

What are some cost effective options to fail safe my tank?

Thanks
rossbryant1956

Re: UPS Backup??

Post by rossbryant1956 »

I am in the process of implementing the power outage code discussed on this board with the following thoughts":

1. Primary 875 UPS running RA and one relay box. Powered off this relay is a light and two power heads. When power goes off the code kills the lights and keeps the power head and RA running
2. Power outage code sends email notifications to me. Another UPS on router and cable box hoping to insure email gets out
3. Other relay boxes plugged into standard grid go off when power is off. I am planning to program an "always-on" port on one of the non-UPS outlets with a battery-backed-up airstone bubbler.

So when power goes off and stays off the bubbler will come on and run for the length of the batteries (4-5 hours) and hopefully the UPS will keep RA running long enough to let me know.

Good luck with the storms
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Do you have a free ATO switch port? Or can you combine your switches so you can free up a port? Or do you have the IO module? I mentioned a few different ways to detect a power outage that you can DIY but you need a way to read it so these are the only options sans an extra relay box.

You could just drive the WP40 off the UPS, but I believe that will run it at 100%
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

Im not so much concerned with getting a notification, though I do have a UPS on my router. Im more concerned with keeping some flow in the tank. I would be ok with the pump running at 100, but I would want it to last doing so. How would I calculate this?

Should I be more thinking on the return pump instead?

I have a smaller unit on my other tank to run a hydor nano and @ 12v 7ah the pump only draws 4.5w, I should be able to run for a while. I think the rough math was around 180 hours?!?!? Can someone confirm ?!?!?

I did watts/voltage=amps (4.5w/120v=0.0375a) ,
then I took amp hours/amps=operating time (7ah/.0375a=186 hours)

Now, how would I do it best with the WP since its operating voltage is 12-24dc?

Im sure people are protecting tanks with something similar....Love to hear or see some.

Both ATO are full right now, I do have a temp, a single PWM on the relay box and a single power port there as well.

Thanks
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Yeah I'm looking into Power Outage situations as well.
I live in South Florida too, (Davie area).

Right now I have everything plugged into a APC UPS unit and if I'm home. I'll turn off the lights and thing I don't really need.

I need to think about what I want to do a little bit more.

Depending on how long the power is out, the WP40 will be enough for the tank (a day or so) anything longer than that I would want to get the main pumps running and after 4-5 days get the lights back on, but at that point I would be on a generator during the day and UPS at night.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Well the free port was more for the RA to know when the power goes out rather than you knowing :)

If it knows it can shutdown unnecessary things and keep your return and WP40's running...
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

Ive seen someone say to use a USB wallwart (non system) and tie it in to the PWM maybe to indicate a power outage, THEN swith the RA into "Outage mode". I could live with that. I would then just put the entire Relay box on the UPS, which im sure would shorten the life powering the display, maybe neglegable though.

Can anyone confirm that my ZERO KNOWLEDGE GENIUS FORMULA was correct in figuring out voltage and amp hours to running time? Then Id start on figuring out how long I can run what on an nice sized unit.

Any links on which wallwart to buy? Can I run it to the PWM-Actinic channel?
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

OR anyone running the Vortec UPS could chime in! I tought I saw in a WP thread they would also work for the WP.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Paulturner911 wrote:Ive seen someone say to use a USB wallwart (non system) and tie it in to the PWM maybe to indicate a power outage, THEN swith the RA into "Outage mode". I could live with that. I would then just put the entire Relay box on the UPS, which im sure would shorten the life powering the display, maybe neglegable though.

Can anyone confirm that my ZERO KNOWLEDGE GENIUS FORMULA was correct in figuring out voltage and amp hours to running time? Then Id start on figuring out how long I can run what on an nice sized unit.

Any links on which wallwart to buy? Can I run it to the PWM-Actinic channel?
Yes it was lnevo in this thread (http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3608) that said that.
Paulturner911 wrote:OR anyone running the Vortec UPS could chime in! I tought I saw in a WP thread they would also work for the WP.
Paul, there are a couple of different ways described in the WP40 thread on RC to connect the pump to a battery backup. I think I have them bookmarked on my laptop at home. I',, take a look tonight and see if I can find them.

Your not the first to ask this today, someone on RC asked too.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Not the PWM ports... you'd need the ATO switch port or an I/O module. That would allow the RA to detect a power outage... If you just want to power the WP40 then the RA would not be involved...
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I took a quick look on RC and found this thread.
It may help.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1590660

Here is another option...

http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads...ze-pumps.5133/

I think this is the option you were thinking of...

http://166.78.194.232/forums/showpost.p ... tcount=400
Last edited by Sacohen on Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

That stinks, I really like how Im using the ATOs currently and a I/O would mean buying an expansion mod also. I think Im just looking to keep the WP on in an affordable way :). Ill start hitting the WP threads and see what I come up with!! Thanks
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, you could use a 12VDC power supply to feed power to the WP40 like the vortech pumps. There are some reference schematics floating around in the web for that. It needs to be the same as the tunze backup system.
The theory is to use a relay to feed 24V from the WP40 power supply on normal mode and 12VDC from a car battery or similar when on outage mode.
I personally use vortech, so I have a small motorcycle battery hooked up to a solar panel that keeps charging the battery continuously during the day and I use this bike battery as back up battery for the vortech in case of outage.
Roberto.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Will the power Control Expansion work as the secondary relay box to let us know when the power is off or does it need to be a relay expansion?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

The Power Control expansion acts just like a relay box, so yes you should be able to use that to detect an outage.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Thanks. I should be getting mine next week.
rimai

Post by rimai »

No, the power control actually uses power from the expansion bus. Only the relay box uses independent power.
Roberto.
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

rimai wrote:Yes, you could use a 12VDC power supply to feed power to the WP40 like the vortech pumps. There are some reference schematics floating around in the web for that. It needs to be the same as the tunze backup system.
The theory is to use a relay to feed 24V from the WP40 power supply on normal mode and 12VDC from a car battery or similar when on outage mode.
I personally use vortech, so I have a small motorcycle battery hooked up to a solar panel that keeps charging the battery continuously during the day and I use this bike battery as back up battery for the vortech in case of outage.
Does anyone sell a pnp unit for this....less the battery and or solar unit. I have a few battery tenders laying around that I could prob use in place of the solar.
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

Sacohen wrote:I took a quick look on RC and found this thread.
It may help.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1590660

Here is another option...

http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads...ze-pumps.5133/

I think this is the option you were thinking of...

http://166.78.194.232/forums/showpost.p ... tcount=400

YES! The third one is what I was thinking. Does anyone on here have one on a WP? Are all of the connectors the same? Id like to keep it as clean as possible.

Thanks
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

Roberto, could you chime in on this? If I just plug to pumps transformer into a UPS and the power goes out, will the pump run at 100% since the RA is not powered to control the lv side?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Not so sure. I think it would not turn on at all.
If I remember correctly, the pumps shut off at zero voltage in the signal wire.
Roberto.
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

Yup! Unplugged the unit with the WP on a non system outlet and it stopped.... There goes my plan....
KimDrake

Post by KimDrake »

rimai wrote:Yes, you could use a 12VDC power supply to feed power to the WP40 like the vortech pumps. There are some reference schematics floating around in the web for that. It needs to be the same as the tunze backup system.
Nice way of continuous charging..I am searching for one such system of continuous charging and now I will apply your way..