Using reef angel probes with a generic Arduino board

Expansion modules and attachments
Endevro

Using reef angel probes with a generic Arduino board

Post by Endevro »

I'm currently running my own reef controller build off an arduino mega and looking to install probes so it can read the water parameters. I may be upgrading to a chipKIT max32, but it shouldn't be much different

So I'm curious if I can use the probes, salinity, ph, and orp, from reef angel plugged directly into the arduino board.
My guess is it would use two pins and simply compare the voltage level to calibration settings from some predetermined fluids. Would this work or is there some magic to reading data from probes?

Thanks
Pny

Re: Using reef angel probes with a generic Arduino board

Post by Pny »

The Arduino Mega, the Reef Angel and the reef angel expansions operate with 5V, while the chipkit max32 operates at 3.3V... It would be no electrical problems to use the expansions with a generic Arduino operating at 5V. While you probably would need some kind of level converters for the 3.3V micro controller.
200 liter reef cube + 1000 liter FOWLR
Endevro

Post by Endevro »

I've checked the chipKIT max32 layout, and it does have a 5v pin just like the arduino. My question is more or less can I use a simple connector (such as the attached picture)
and simply attach the 5v and the gnd and use the one wire to an analog in pin? Can I get it to read properly that way or is there an intermediary process the signal must go through to be read?
Attachments
female_bnc-001-500x500.jpg
female_bnc-001-500x500.jpg (24.16 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
Pny

Post by Pny »

Endevro wrote:I've checked the chipKIT max32 layout, and it does have a 5v pin just like the arduino. My question is more or less can I use a simple connector (such as the attached picture)
and simply attach the 5v and the gnd and use the one wire to an analog in pin? Can I get it to read properly that way or is there an intermediary process the signal must go through to be read?
You can not connect the probe directly microcontroller pin. You will need a pH amplifier in between, for example the pH sensor board from Atlas scientific (with serial port interface to the Arduino) or the Reef Angel pH expansion (with i2c interface to the Arduino).
200 liter reef cube + 1000 liter FOWLR