Problem with salinity probe

Expansion modules and attachments
AnthonyK

Problem with salinity probe

Post by AnthonyK »

I got the salinity attachment for my RA+ unit about 2 weeks ago. The problem I'm having with it is that almost as soon as I'm done calibrating it the reading starts dropping and continues to drop, could this be a bad probe? I've tried calibrating it to regular salt water mixed to 35ppt, and then last week I bought the little bottle of solution and recalibrate it to 35ppt. Now a week later it's all the way down to 23.6ppt. Any ideas?
rimai

Re: Problem with salinity probe

Post by rimai »

Probably bubbles or temp swings.
Try moving to a spot without bubbles.
Roberto.
rossbryant1956

Post by rossbryant1956 »

Take a look at your portal web chart...look something like this?

Mine has been doing this since I got it and I cannot figure it out. Many have blamed it on stray voltage but I've added grounding probes, even unplugged everything for a while on a rebuild and no better. I've changed out the probe, moved it around, to no avail.

Let me know if you figure anything out.
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
AnthonyK

Post by AnthonyK »

Took the probe out of the sump, shook the water off, and put it back in. It went right back to 35ppt, but then immediately started dropping again. It's not a fast drop, maybe .2-.3 per hour, but fast enough that it's concerning.
rimai

Post by rimai »

What happens if you place the probe in a cup with tank water?
Roberto.
AnthonyK

Post by AnthonyK »

Got home from work today and it was back down to 23.9

I just put it in a cup of tank water, it went back up to 35. I'll update you on what it's reading tomorrow, usually drops slowly over the course of a day.
AnthonyK

Post by AnthonyK »

Still dropped, but not as much. In the glass of tank water it made it down to around 32 after 2 days.
rimai

Post by rimai »

That difference is probably due to temperature difference.
It is very difficult to see what is happening because we don't have log of your controller in the portal.
Roberto.
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

My graphs looked almost identical to the one above when I first got it and I moved it to the other side of my sump and it works smoothly. I think it was collecting air bubbles in the first position.

-Jon