Wifi not working after power down

Expansion modules and attachments
Naptalene

Wifi not working after power down

Post by Naptalene »

Hi gents,

Just got my controller and I'm tinkering to get everything going and seem to be running into 2 issues.

I use the WiFi wizard, get my IP from my Netgear, it does the UPnP and all is well
I set that IP to be static in the router
I set the port forward.

I bought a dyndns. com package (part 2 of the question)
I got my host name done.
I set my routers IP to that.

Upload the test wifi code and get it to work locally and externally ( 3G on my iPhone)

Now I'm in Johannesburg where lightening is ridiculous and I am in a particularly hi strike area.
So I unplugged everything due to a storm ( I will only turn off the router normally)
Next day and nothing works.

My first issue is the dyndns. com not being updated with a new IP
My modem says use dyndns. org not .com........
Have I made a boo boo there? I can't choose anything else in the modem.
I have installed their update app as a workaround in the meantime at startup on my netbook.

But the WiFi box is not talking. If I start from scratch and get a new local IP and adjust all my router settings to the new IP it works. Power off the everything and same issue again.
Does the wifi unit get a new IP every time it turns on?

I'm fairly computer literate but this is on the edge of my knowledge so any help is greatly appreciated.
Poiromaniax's tutorials have helped immensely ( read I didn't know what I was doing but sort of do now lol)

PS I ran the code wizard with the wifi and was grinning from ear to ear when I pushed a button on my phone in Safari and heard the relays click lol. It's AWESOME!!!!
Believe it or not.... I can ask even stupider questions than this one.
rimai

Re: Wifi not working after power down

Post by rimai »

Yes, all routers clear their ip tables when they are turned off.
So chances are that it will reassign a new ip address to the wifi attachment everytime you unplug the router.
To avoid this problem, you must reserve the ip address in the router by using it's MAC address.
When the router boots up, it looks at this reservation list and gives priority to reserved MAC addresses, so it would reassign the same ip address to your wifi attachment all the time.
There are many ways that manufactures call this, but it could be called ip reservation, dhcp resevation, MAC address reservation or something that would look like that.
Roberto.
Naptalene

Post by Naptalene »

Wow, thanks for the swift response.
I apologise for asking you for help on a modem and not your unit, but is my problem then that I have reserved an Ip and not the MAC address. I'm saying don't assign this IP for anything, instead of saying use this IP for that MAC address?

Thanks again
rimai

Post by rimai »

Was the ip reservation based on MAC address?
If not, I'm unaware of any other method of ip reservation.
I guess if you post a screenshot of the reservation you've made, it would help understand what you are talking about.
Roberto.
Naptalene

Post by Naptalene »

This morning the wifi is showing on my modem and the portal no problem after powering up.
I am having trouble with the DNS but it looks like the reefAngel is sorted.

Thanks again.