Water Level Sensor dropping to 0

Expansion modules and attachments
MisterTang

Water Level Sensor dropping to 0

Post by MisterTang »

I've noticed the water level sensor on my new Reef Angel seems to be having problems - specifically, it showed a reading of zero, and according to spot checks I'm doing, it gradually dropped over the course of 24 hours from a reading of 40. The water level remains reasonably constant because I'm using my ATO's built-in float switch to control the water level. I reverted to the float switch when I suspected that the reading was inaccurate when I kept getting ATO timeouts but would find the sump overfilled. By pulling the sensor tube out of the water and then putting it back in, it immediately registered 40 again, but is already starting to drop despite the water level appearing to remain constant.

Any ideas on troubleshooting? I specifically switched to the water level sensor because I don't trust float switches, but I've had to revert back to the float switch after less than a day using the sensor :(
lnevo

Re: Water Level Sensor dropping to 0

Post by lnevo »

Did you glue the cap to the tube? It needs to be airtight.
MisterTang

Post by MisterTang »

lnevo wrote:Did you glue the cap to the tube? It needs to be airtight.
Thanks! I did glue the PVC cap to the pipe, but I did not glue the clear tubing on either side. I may try to do something there...
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Not sure on gluing the airline.
MisterTang

Post by MisterTang »

Well, it seemed to slightly work - it's now taking about 48 hours for my water level sensor to drop to zero. Any other ideas?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Sounds like you have air getting in somewhere
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yeah, sounds like air is getting into the pipe.
Did you use pvc cement all around the adapter/pipe junction.
Do you have bubbles where you placed the pipe?
Roberto.
MisterTang

Post by MisterTang »

rimai wrote:Do you have bubbles where you placed the pipe?
This is possible... I do have some small amount of microbubbles that come off my skimmer, but how could I reasonably ensure there's no bubbles at all in my sump? That doesn't seem possible...
ReEfnWrX

Post by ReEfnWrX »

Proper skimmer design that outputs no Microbubbles or Proper baffle setup will result in no micro bubbles past skimmer section....

Do you currently have a baffle after your skimmer? If so, you could add a second baffle after it that is raised 1" off the bottom of the sump... Water goes down to get to next section air rises and doesn't pass..
sabo

Post by sabo »

Bubbles will actually keep it reading on the high side. He has an air leak, not extra air getting into it.
ReEfnWrX

Post by ReEfnWrX »

sabo wrote:Bubbles will actually keep it reading on the high side. He has an air leak, not extra air getting into it.
Agreed, I was just responding to his statement that it does not seem possible to avoid bubbles in sump. Since you want to eliminate all bubbles so you don't have micro bubbles getting sent to your DT
sabo

Post by sabo »

When I used to go gas work, we used soapy water to find the leaks. Mistertang, you could try that. Take it out of your sump and put it in a bucket of water, then spray soapy water on the joints. Seeing as it takes 48 hours to leak out, they will be very tiny bubbles, but you should be able to see them after a while.
MisterTang

Post by MisterTang »

sabo wrote:When I used to go gas work, we used soapy water to find the leaks. Mistertang, you could try that. Take it out of your sump and put it in a bucket of water, then spray soapy water on the joints. Seeing as it takes 48 hours to leak out, they will be very tiny bubbles, but you should be able to see them after a while.
This is the last thing I will try before abandoning the unit.

I have tried a variety of fixes, including different PVC pipes of differing heights, reconnecting the joints, and placing the sensor in different places/heights in my tank. All I have managed to do is to increase the amount of time it takes to drop to zero by a factor of hours.
MisterTang

Post by MisterTang »

Good news! I think I may have finally fixed the issue, and am documenting it here for posterity.

The orange insert on the PVC cap apparently was not as tight as it should be - I sealed it with superglue and have had a consistent reading for the last couple of days. Unfortunately, the soap idea didn't seem to work because there just wasn't enough leakage occurring, so it was literally a process of gluing/sealing every connection on the unit. It also explains why switching to a different sized PVC tube or any of my other efforts worked.