Wif attachment

Expansion modules and attachments
dvdcox

Re: Wif attachment

Post by dvdcox »

has worked on and off all day, is there a way to reset the wifi attachment maybe that will help? I am convinced it is not the port forwarding because none of the settings have changed and the attachment has stopped and started transmitting randomly all day.
Dave
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

Ok, so here is where I am I have replaced the wifi unit (thank you Roberto), I have replaced the router, I did the mod for the external antenna and have installed a wifi extender to boost the signal. I have given this thing 2 weeks and it still is dropping the wifi signal from my FIOS router. when I am getting a signal it works perfectly but at least 5 times a day I have to unplug the cable from the wifi attachment and plug it back in to kick start the wifi again. I think this a compatibility issue with the FIOS MI424WR router. I have read where people have installed another router in front of the FIOS router, not sure if that will work or not and probably don't have the knowledge base to accomplish that task either. I certainly don't want to keep tinkering with this wifi attachment to keep it running, it just a matter of time before one of the pins on the wifi break off and I have a $120 paper weight. Not to mention the inconvenience of resetting it every time I come home. I do believe that the router is set up properly, I have the wifi on a static IP address and manually set up the port forwarding to /2000. I have uninstalled the client, I have turned off the widget on my desk top to see if that is the problem, nothing seems to be working. Anyone have any suggestions on what to next. I have even signed up for the premium support from FIOS to help fix the problem and they cannot resolve it either. I am completely at a loss at this point on what to do to fix the problem.
Dave
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Just making sure...did you enable the external antenna in the wifi module?

Do you have any baby monitors, nanny cam, security cameras around? I had a lot of issues when we got a video baby monitor. The router attached to the fios one isnt hard to do. The only tricky part about it is you need two port forwardings.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

I am one of those that put a router in front of my fios router. The fios router is just not reliable in holding a wifi connection for a lot of other things. I would recommend doing that before you invest in other options or mess with internals. That said, my wifi has dropped a handful of times in the few months that I've had it but I do have 2 baby monitors that float around the house as well as numerous other devices that connect to my wifi signal. I call that par for the course.
Jack
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

Thank you for the responses, to answer your questions I do have the external antenna set to [1]in the code BUT!!! I only have one port forwarding set up. Don't know how I would set up another wouldn't that show as a conflict? I do have the norm of cell phones computers printers etc.. that are connected to the wifi but in this day and age the equipment being supplied should be able to handle all of those devices, you would think. Can I get some more information/instruction on how to set up the second port forwarding. By the way (fingers crossed since I have removed both the client and the widget together I have not had it break the connection, that's been about 26hrs now. I have also taken the router off auto and assigned it to channel 11 not sure if that helped. I am in a wait and see mode at this point a little disappointed that the client/widget could have been the problem liked having them.
I can handle resetting the wifi a few times a month due to bandwidth traffic but not 5 or more times a day. This was happening when no one was home and no devices were being used so I don't think that was the problem. I would like to try the second port forwarding and put the client back on line to see which was the problem. just out of curiosity, would this be a problem if I installed a camera on the tank? I am assuming that because the image is being transmitted by the wifi attachment that there wouldn't be a connection problem, is that a correct assumption?
Dave
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

You have to port forward both routers to make it work. How to do that will depend on what kind of router you have, there are usually instructions in print or online.
Jack
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

The second port forwarding is only if you connect a second router to the fios one

Internet -> fios -> second router -> rawifi
dvdcox

Post by dvdcox »

oh ok, I get it duh!, still have not lost the connection yet, thanks for the help. I don't want to do the second router thing unless I have to, I guess I can live without the client if that was the problem.
Dave