Wifi Module Tanked?

Expansion modules and attachments
clw143

Wifi Module Tanked?

Post by clw143 »

Yeah bad pun I know, gotta find some light where there is none.

So this wifi module gave me some troubles about 6 months back, and it cleared up. It is my 2nd one since June. It never would work quite like the manual is written for or like the first one did, I figured the version 4 firmware just changed a few things, like the default for join is a 7 and the default should be a like a 1, and the wlan authentications numbers changed, I could never get it to join automatically and would have to say join (SSID) command and then it would be good.

So anyway, today it stopped working and I figured I would just have to reset it and throw it a join command and all would be good, no...

Here is the end of latest output from the module as I was trying for about the tenth time.

<4.00> set w a 4
AOK
<4.00> get w
SSID=sophie
Chan=0
ExtAnt=0
Join=1
Auth=MIXED
Mask=0x1fff
Rate=12, 24 Mb
Linkmon-Infra=30
Linkmon-AP=3600
Passphrase=******
EAP_Id=userid
EAP_User=peap-user
<4.00> set PIN9=5
USER-reset
PIN9=6
get w
ERR: 2few Args
<4.00> get w
SSID=testing
Chan=0
ExtAnt=0
Join=1
Auth=OPEN
Mask=0x1fff
Rate=12, 24 Mb
Linkmon-Infra=30
Linkmon-AP=3600
Passphrase=a01b02c03d
EAP_Id=userid
EAP_User=peap-user
<4.00> PIN9=7
PIN9=8
PIN9=9
Factory-reset
get w
SSID=roving1
Chan=0
ExtAnt=0
Join=0
Auth=OPEN
Mask=0x1fff
Rate=12, 24 Mb
Linkmon-Infra=30
Linkmon-AP=3600
Passphrase=rubygirl
EAP_Id=userid
EAP_User=peap-user
<4.00>

So in the middle setting it up and my typing a set command it just reset, and then shows the SSID is "testing" and then it just did a factory reset and shows the SSID as "roving-1". Sometimes it would get further than others, but everytime it started with the pin9=1 (errors?) feedback it would reset or factory reset.
rimai

Re: Wifi Module Tanked?

Post by rimai »

That's the push button.
If you press 5 times, it resets to user settings, which is the settings I ship it.
If you continue to 7 times, it resets to factory, which is how I get the chips.
For every push, the PIN9=X count in incremented.
There must be something going on with the button if it is making contact without being pushed. Does it look ok?
If you want to read about it, this is the manual:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D ... 02230A.pdf
Look on page 93: A.13 RESTORING DEFAULT CONFIGURATION SETTINGS
Roberto.
clw143

Post by clw143 »

The button and board looks fine, not stuck or anything. I set it up this morning as fast as I could and got it connected. About 10 minutes of solid connection it started with the Pin9=1 entries until it hit the factory reset. Which by the way I had not touched the module or computer it was plugged into.

Another test, while the green light is flashing normally and connected to wifi, if I press the button once, the module responds with a few flashes of the blue light but I do not see a pin9=1 response on the terminal screen, that seems to start when ever it wants.

From what I have read, I thought you could not even do a factory reset or reset unless you were holding the button down during power on to even get into the reset/factory reset modes? That would seem to me that this is a software issue and not the actual button?

By the way, It looks like pin9=5 is a reset as you suggest, but pin9=9 is a factory reset, at least according to the feedback I see in the terminal screen. It does not do anything when it gets to pin9=7.

Right now it is connected, and every few minutes it flashes the blue light, I expect in a few more minutes it will start flashing them all and go to a factory reset. We will see what happens.
clw143

Post by clw143 »

Well I fought it all day. I set it up with a macro each time and sometimes it stays connected for longer than others, sometimes it does not even make it to being plugged into the reefangel head unit. Every time it resets and then factory resets. Will the new firmware change anything? Can I just disable the button or something? What do I try?
rimai

Post by rimai »

That doesn't look right, man.
PM to RMA this unit.
Roberto.