Wifi error from firmware update

Expansion modules and attachments
SeaHawk12

Wifi error from firmware update

Post by SeaHawk12 »

Hello all! So I'm new here and have no idea what I'm doing. I just purchased the Reef Angel Plus with a wifi attachment, and have run into some problems already... Yipes!

Initially I used the Wifi Utility, and while it found my unit and gave me the IP address and port, it said "trying to find your router..." and never changed. Tried the wifi test code, nothing. I'm not sure why it couldn't find my router (Apple AirPort Express), but I mulled over the forums and kept seeing questions about old firmware. In Wifi Utility I clicked the button to update my firmware, and it jacked everything up... Tried to restore to factory setting, but no luck. It was only a few minutes ago that I discovered a few threads about how you should never click that firmware update button, because it'll screw the attachment up and you'll have to manually fix it with extra software.... Lovely.

So, my question is how do I do this? I tried following the link to download TeraTerm, but it takes me to the Microchip(dot)com homepage, and I haven't the slightest idea where to go from there. I would really, really love some (dumbed-down) instructions for how to get the software and fix my wifi unit. I'm leaving on vacation in less than a week and really wanted this new controller up and running :(

Thank you in advance!!
rimai

Re: Wifi error from firmware update

Post by rimai »

Download this one
Roberto.
SeaHawk12

Post by SeaHawk12 »

Which one?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Sorry. Link didn't come through.
https://www.ayera.com/teraterm/
Roberto.
SeaHawk12

Post by SeaHawk12 »

Okay, so I downloaded TeraTerm, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I changed the SSID and password in the zip file, changed the bit rate to 57600, COM to COM4 (the one that I've used for everything with my RA), I click "Start WiFly configuration module" in a pop-up window, but then it just sits there with another little window open that says "Pause" or "End." All while the wifi unit blinks slow green and fast blue.

I feel like I missed something... Any idea?
SeaHawk12

Post by SeaHawk12 »

Something happened! So I went back and changed the 57600 baud to 9600, and it worked! Or so I thought. Text went through the TeraTerm window, but then that little "Start Wifly configuration module" window popped up again. So I clicked it again. And it just starts over. Fast blue light still blinking along with slow green. Is it fixed?
SeaHawk12

Post by SeaHawk12 »

Tried to do Wifi Utility, and now I get:
**ERROR: Connecting to COM4
**Error inside Serial.<init>()
SeaHawk12

Post by SeaHawk12 »

Hahaha... Okay, so I'm back to square one! The wifi unit is configured, connected and set up, and I have its IP address and port... Now I'm just back to the original issue of it not being able to connect to my router. The Wifi Utility text ends with "Trying to connect to your router..." and it's not changing, same as before.

I promise I won't hit the firmware update button again, but I'm not sure why they aren't connecting. It's an Apple AirPort Express: WPA/WPA2, 802.11n along with a, b and g... Any other requirements that I should look into?
rimai

Post by rimai »

You should be good.
The router probably doesn't implement pump and that's why it doesn't connect to it.
But that is fine. All it would do is try to port forward setup in your router.
You can set up your router manually.
If you have the IP address, you can connect to it by using that IP address.
Roberto.
SeaHawk12

Post by SeaHawk12 »

I set up what I believe is the correct port forwarding on my router, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I've tried typing in http://(myipaddress):2000, but it says no data received, and the wifi test with the RA controller didn't work. Any more thoughts? I might try buying another router to see if it's a weird Apple product thing...
SeaHawk12

Post by SeaHawk12 »

I swear this controller and its wifi attachment just want to make a fool of me. It hasn't been working all day, and I've tried everything I can think of... Then 5 minutes after I post to the forum, it suddenly fixes itself. Go figure! Until next time... Thanks for the assistance!