WP-40's Seizing up daily

Expansion modules and attachments
kirkwood

WP-40's Seizing up daily

Post by kirkwood »

I have 2 Jebao WP40's that are about 2 months old. Starting a few weeks ago one of them seized on me. I opened up the pump, removed the impeller, wiped everthing down, and got the pump running again. Unfortunately this process started repeating itself and after a couple weeks my other pump also started seizing up. I reviewed my code and found that both the Nutrient Transport and Tidal Swell Modes operate in the 0-30% range no matter how you specify your hi/low speed ranges. Its just within the basic programming in each mode. Anyway, I went ahead and removed both of these modes from my code. I am currently only running Long Pulse, Short Pulse, Sine, and ReefCrest modes. The minimum intensity I run the pumps at is 35 and maximum is 80.

Given the newness of both of these pumps there is virtually no buildup at all in the impeller area. Can anyone provide troubleshooting assistance???
rimai

Re: WP-40's Seizing up daily

Post by rimai »

Ok, just for troubleshooting, is it possible to use the original controller and see what you get?
That way we can pinpoint if the issue is with the code or with the hardware.
Roberto.
kirkwood

Post by kirkwood »

rimai wrote:Ok, just for troubleshooting, is it possible to use the original controller and see what you get?
That way we can pinpoint if the issue is with the code or with the hardware.
I have tried using the original controller when the pump seizes, to see if this would correct the problem. Using the original controller did not unfreeze the pump and I still had to go through my normal troubleshooting process of opening the pump and removing and replacing the impeller.

I run the 2 WP40's in a shallow 60g (4x2x1) tank so i tend to operate the most in the 40-60% intensity range. I will say that the way the impeller fits into the unit it doesn't seem to move too freely.
rimai

Post by rimai »

What I meant is to run with the original controller to see if they also freeze.
Roberto.
Albe

Post by Albe »

I have 2 WP-40's and have experienced the same issue.
I resolved it by removing the impeller, then removing and cleaning the internal "bearing" - it a plastic bit that with a ceramic sleeve where the impeller shaft sits inside the pump. Sometimes it get some gunk in there or it is not seated 100% straight. Attach it to the impeller to reseat it. The impeller should move freely with no noise or resistance.

Sometimes an indicator of that specific problem is a humming noise when the pump runs at higher speeds.

Good pumps but you need to maintain them.
kirkwood

Post by kirkwood »

Albe wrote:I have 2 WP-40's and have experienced the same issue.
I resolved it by removing the impeller, then removing and cleaning the internal "bearing" - it a plastic bit that with a ceramic sleeve where the impeller shaft sits inside the pump. Sometimes it get some gunk in there or it is not seated 100% straight. Attach it to the impeller to reseat it. The impeller should move freely with no noise or resistance.

Sometimes an indicator of that specific problem is a humming noise when the pump runs at higher speeds.

Good pumps but you need to maintain them.
OK I am following what you are saying. I am familiar with the internal bearing you are talking about. It has a plastic bit that sits inside what seems like a rubber sleeve. You mentioned ceramic by my sleeve is bendable and seems to be rubber. There is a similar 2-piece bearing in the pump screen guard.

What is your method for cleaning? My pumps are only 2 months old so there really isn't much buildup to speak of. Have you found that certain modes are more likely to cause a freeze than others?
Albe

Post by Albe »

Weird, the bearing in mine is definitely not bendable. I soak mine in vinegar for about 20 mins. The rest of the pump in warm water and vinegar mix.

Else mode on the controller did it, plus any mode that drops power below 35% or so. After cleaning it works all the way down to about 10%.
Albe

Post by Albe »

By the way I try and do bi-weekly cleanings but if I forget or just plain lazy I don't push it past a month. I generally see a difference in flow or hear the hum after three to four weeks.