Wifi Assistance

Expansion modules and attachments
GiraffeCat

Wifi Assistance

Post by GiraffeCat »

Hello,

After finally getting my reef angel, finally finding the Wifi utility (Thanks for the help in that - you know who you are.), I cannot get my wifi going. I run the utility and it gives me this:
Wifi Config.jpg
Wifi Config.jpg (99.32 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
What the? Even I know that 0.0.0.0...... isn't going to do anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
GC
.....Your forefathers wisely set aside their compassion - Steeled themselves for what needed to be done.......
rimai

Re: Wifi Assistance

Post by rimai »

Try changing your router to WPA2-PSK with AES encryption instead of any other or mixed.
Roberto.
GiraffeCat

Post by GiraffeCat »

WPA2 Personal, AES encryption. No Change in result. What else you want me to try?

Thanks in advance,

GC
.....Your forefathers wisely set aside their compassion - Steeled themselves for what needed to be done.......
rimai

Post by rimai »

Do you have B and G networks enabled? The wifi attachment is not N compatible.
Roberto.
GiraffeCat

Post by GiraffeCat »

B and G are enabled. Nothing in my house fast enough for N. Let me know.

Thanks.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Humm.
Did you type the ssid and password correctly?
They are both case sensitive.
Roberto.
GiraffeCat

Post by GiraffeCat »

Reset all router fields. Set everything back up using B and G, and the SSID and pass key are correct. Wpa2 Personal, AES, and all that jazz. LMK.

Thanks,
GC

Got home, and tried everything again. No change. Still spits out 0.0.0.0:2000 - any idea would be great.

Thanks in advance,
GC
GiraffeCat

Post by GiraffeCat »

You think I should try a factory reset, then try the whole Tera-Term routine? Different installer maybe? Smash everything with a hammer and call insurance company? Scream really loud at it? Maybe the trip in the box was really stressful, and it needs a day at the spa? LMK.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

GC
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yeah, try the tera term.
If it doesn't work, PM me.
Roberto.
GiraffeCat

Post by GiraffeCat »

Limited success, but it is "working". I went ahead and poked my nose around the forums, and did the whole Tera Term thing. At 9600 baud using my SSID and passkey, and got the WIFI module green light to blink slow. (I never got the $$$ CMD thing to work.) Went and found an old Graphical Wi-Fi Utility thing from the forums, and was able to find the IP address it was on.

I am now able to see and manipulate the RA via my home network, but not from the Portal, or the Remote App on my phone. I have it port forwarded to 2000 in my router - TCP only.

Now, could you offer any insight as to how to fix the whole portal/smartphone not connecting?

The portal appears to have taken a "snapshot" from my RA, as it displays what the tank was at after the "limited success", but it says "Unreachable Address" in the top right corner, and if I try to manipulate, it says I need a valid address something or other....

Let me know here, or PM me to hopefully smack me in the right direction.

Thanks, and Thanks in advance,

GC
rimai

Post by rimai »

That looks like port forwarding.
Go here in a computer inside your wifi network:
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
Are you using that ip address shown on the screen?
That is your wan ip address and the ip address you need to use to access your RA from outside your wifi network.
Change the port to 2000 and click on Check button. Does it say port open? If not, your router is not setup correctly.
Roberto.
GiraffeCat

Post by GiraffeCat »

Port is not open. Don't know where to plug that number in, and have not seen it in router/Wi-Fi add on TeraTerm stuff. I sent you a PM. LMK.

Thanks,
GC
JDW

Post by JDW »

I had that same issue when I went through my wifi extender. I changed my wifi to my regular router and it worked w/o a hitch.
GiraffeCat

Post by GiraffeCat »

JDW wrote:I had that same issue when I went through my wifi extender. I changed my wifi to my regular router and it worked w/o a hitch.
No Wi-Fi extender. Only have cable modem and router. This whole Wi-Fi add on process has been a $109 pain in the ass. Just want it to work. :x Interesting to see that there are tons of posts on here about just the Wi-Fi - Finicky little piece of technology that has finicky co - technology to work with. Want to get this running smooth so I can order my relay expansion and dimming expansion. Baby steps for now.

Late,
GC
GiraffeCat

Post by GiraffeCat »

Roberto,

Thanks for the help. Stupid router. It is working on the phone app now! Woot! After my leave I will start tinkering with the dimming ports, and save some scratch for more add on items!

Thank you,

GC
bmhair03

Post by bmhair03 »

Hey Roberto,
Im having same issue .wifi works fine in home network but no portal update and no smartphone data when out of home wifi.
Thanks
Brian
rimai

Post by rimai »

port forwarding
Roberto.
bmhair03

Post by bmhair03 »

Wifi utility set adaptor to a different ip then shown on that website how do i change it ?.It set it at 10.0.0.6 but the web site you mentioned shows a diferent one .When i check that IP it shows port 2000 is open.Totally router issue how do I get utility to set the correct external ip??
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Ones your internal ip and the one on portal is the external ip. On your phone you want to put the external one. If the port forwarding is working then it will work properly.
bmhair03

Post by bmhair03 »

Thanks. When I put the external on phone it doesnt work.IN the router i have 10.0.0.6:2000 enabled for port fowarding. when i change it to the external ip with port 2000 forwarding is said incorrect ip?Sorry Im not to good with this sort of stuff .
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Maybe some screenshots from your router will help. On the router you want to forward to the internal ip. But it definitely sounds like something is not working.

Was your phone on wifi when you tested that or cellular?
bmhair03

Post by bmhair03 »

Just read a lot on the internet and followed instructions.I believe I have it set up correctly but it still isnt working.
Will call comcast tomorrow. Thanks for the help
bmhair03

Post by bmhair03 »

Found out that my xfinity router doesn't support port forwarding
Had to call them to have it put in "bridge" mode and use my own router.
Will update late after I reconfig.this might help some others if they're having issues.
bmhair03

Post by bmhair03 »

Update: It works!!!!
Had to call xfinity back a second time , still wasnt working.Got a more experienced Tech this time. Told me bridge was wrong way to go ,to complicated. He said xfinity router just needed to be setup right on their side. So after un-bridging and setting up on their side it started to port foward.I didnt have to change anything I had set up so made sense that it was a config problem and not B.S.
So if anyone is having problems and has xfinity call their techline and make sure they have config correct.
Thanks for everyones help.
Brian
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Awesome! Congrats and enjoy :)