Netcam

Expansion modules and attachments
Gugs Jr

Netcam

Post by Gugs Jr »

Can I attach a netcam to the reef portal? Or does it have to be a webcam?

I purchased

Belkin - NetCam HD+ Wireless Networking IP Camera

Model: F7D7606

and I'm not able to get it to show up in the portal because I can't find the web address for it. Its up and running I can use my Android App log in to their website but nothing that I can link into the portal.

Should I return it and just get a normal web cam?
cosmith71

Re: Netcam

Post by cosmith71 »

I'm sure you could get it to work with some fancy software tricks, but you're far better off just getting a web (IP) camera that doesn't need to be hooked to a computer to operate.

--Colin
binder

Post by binder »

it is wireless, so no computer is needed to use it. i do have a couple questions.
1. can you connect to it outside of your home network? like if you use your phone while at work or somewhere else?

2. i am assuming that your ra controller works with the portal and you can communicate with it. if this is correct, did you open up any ports on your router for the ra?

that is all i have right now. i will have more though :-)

Sent from my iPad mini
Gugs Jr

Post by Gugs Jr »

binder wrote:it is wireless, so no computer is needed to use it. i do have a couple questions.
1. can you connect to it outside of your home network? like if you use your phone while at work or somewhere else?

2. i am assuming that your ra controller works with the portal and you can communicate with it. if this is correct, did you open up any ports on your router for the ra?

that is all i have right now. i will have more though :-)

Sent from my iPad mini
I can look at it from my phone and from the belkin portal. Just not the RA portal.

After doing a lot of research it seems like it isn't possible. I ended up returning it last night and I'm going to be ordering an IP Camera.

Hopefully I can find one with pan, tilt and zoom that won't break the bank.
binder

Post by binder »

ok. well i was researching what ports needed to be open on your router for it but i have not had enough time today with my work schedule.

i will say this, whatever ip camera you get (wired or wireless), you will want to look and see what tcp or udp port needs to be open on your router for you to gain access to it from outside of your home network.
all ip cameras that allow you to view them from outside your network need ports to be open. some dynamically open them, some require them to be done manually. lots of them nowadays are switching to dynamic because it is easier for the common person to install but a little harder to do what we want to do with them. no worries though, it will get figured out.

Sent from my iPad mini
Gugs Jr

Post by Gugs Jr »

binder wrote:ok. well i was researching what ports needed to be open on your router for it but i have not had enough time today with my work schedule.

i will say this, whatever ip camera you get (wired or wireless), you will want to look and see what tcp or udp port needs to be open on your router for you to gain access to it from outside of your home network.
all ip cameras that allow you to view them from outside your network need ports to be open. some dynamically open them, some require them to be done manually. lots of them nowadays are switching to dynamic because it is easier for the common person to install but a little harder to do what we want to do with them. no worries though, it will get figured out.

Sent from my iPad mini
I tried to look that up as well without any luck. I tried calling them directly and they were clueless on what I was looking for.

Just realized you are the person on the Android app. Great work btw.