Adding new/different screen to RA controller

Expansion modules and attachments
tinctorus

Adding new/different screen to RA controller

Post by tinctorus »

Hi all, I'm getting ready to purchase a reef and eland was curious if it is possible or if anyone has already added a new/larger screen to the controller?
I'm assuming it's possible because it runs off an arduino platform
I ask because adafruit is a company that makes and carries a ton of products for the arduino platform and they make some nice 5 and 7 inch screens that are also touch screen, they also make standard non touch screen ones as well, reason I'm asking is because I have an idea in my head of adding a 7" touchscreen to the controller and flush mounting it into my tanks stand so that I can control everything from there instead of the stock screen/joystick
I have a little trouble seeing small screens which is also why I would like to do this
Thank you
Mike G
cosmith71

Re: Adding new/different screen to RA controller

Post by cosmith71 »

Hey Mike,

A lot of us use the WiFi attachment along with a dedicated, cheap Android tablet using the Reef Angel Status app. Here's my old tank.

--Colin
tinctorus

Post by tinctorus »

That's a good idea as well, I allay doesn't realize that show it displayed on the phone with the WiFi module... I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S5 so I guess I could do that.
But in all honesty I would still really like to have another screen that is flush mounted in my cabinet, I suppose I could flash mount a tablet if I don't have any other choice, or if the amount of work required to do what I want is to much I may just do the tablet
Will any tablet that runs android work? Cause I've seen some cheap garbage ones that I wouldn't use for anything but might be perfect for that
rimai

Post by rimai »

I've done touchscreen modules in the past. There are a couple prototypes within the community.
Even our libraries have support for the touchscreen module too.
The problem I have is that the module would cost much more than a cheap tablet and it's just really not worth to make them.
Roberto.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Cheap, garbage tablets work great. I think ICS or Kit Kat is preferred, but otherwise hardware specs don't matter much. The app doesn't take much to run.
binder

Post by binder »

cosmith71 wrote:Cheap, garbage tablets work great. I think ICS or Kit Kat is preferred, but otherwise hardware specs don't matter much. The app doesn't take much to run.
yeah, the app needs gingerbread 2.3 or later to run. i may be upping that to ics (4.0) in the future but i will try not to if i dont have to. in all reality though, over half (ok, more than half) are running ics or later now anyways but i digress.

Sent from my iPad mini