WIFI Question

Expansion modules and attachments
joshuamcrae

WIFI Question

Post by joshuamcrae »

I have a Reef Angel (not the Plus) and a wifi attachment that I finally got setup successfully. I setup port forwarding on my ATT Uverse Motorola NVG510 router and it is showing as being open when I check it on canyouseeme. I called ATT and they say that they cannot setup a static IP nor can they setup a DHCP reservation by MAC address. My question is do I need to do either of these things? Do I need to setup a DDNS service? I noticed when setting up my Reef Angel software using the Reef Angel Wizard the last screen had a place where I could enter a Dynamic DNS. I just left the default IP address in that block 192.168.1.254. Is this what I was supposed to do? Thanks in advance!!!
dapg8gt

Re: WIFI Question

Post by dapg8gt »

I just swapped uverse routers to a faster one and I've got a similar router to you nvg589 . I'm in the process of figuring it out as I had it successfully running on my 2wire one. If you haven't found a way yet I'll update the process. I've never used a ddns service but I feel I may need to with this modem.
My other hobby has 450rwhp and eats tires instead of mysis!
binder

Re: WIFI Question

Post by binder »

joshuamcrae wrote:I have a Reef Angel (not the Plus) and a wifi attachment that I finally got setup successfully. I setup port forwarding on my ATT Uverse Motorola NVG510 router and it is showing as being open when I check it on canyouseeme. I called ATT and they say that they cannot setup a static IP nor can they setup a DHCP reservation by MAC address. My question is do I need to do either of these things? Do I need to setup a DDNS service? I noticed when setting up my Reef Angel software using the Reef Angel Wizard the last screen had a place where I could enter a Dynamic DNS. I just left the default IP address in that block 192.168.1.254. Is this what I was supposed to do? Thanks in advance!!!
you will not need a static ip or dhcp reservation from att. to ensure that your ra is accessible no matter the ip, you will need to use a dynamic dns service. this will update a domain name to point to your router whenever the ip changes (you gotta use an update client to report the changes).

you will need to either setup a static internal ip address for your ra or do a static dhcp lease for your reef angel. then have the open port point to the reef angel. it sounds like you should be ok with how you set things up.

the ddns service in the wizard is reef angels free ddns service. it can handle everything for you but im not sure it runs on the standard ra.

Sent from my iPad mini