Water level expansion issues

Expansion modules and attachments
Ismaclst

Water level expansion issues

Post by Ismaclst »

I have the multi level water expanison and it was working good until now. I noticed that channel 1 and 2 fluctuate up and down constantly. Channel 1 is my ato so this causes the port to kick off and on which is what my ato pump is on. Channel 2 is for my overflow and channel 3 is for my ato reservoir, which is the only one not fluctuating. I made sure that the level of my sump and overflow stayed consistent, which it does. What could be causing the first two channels to one day be working fine and the next not be?
Ismaclst

Re: Water level expansion issues

Post by Ismaclst »

Forgot to mention that channel one fluctuates from 38% to 41% in a few seconds time.
Ismaclst

Post by Ismaclst »

Anyone?
Ismaclst

Post by Ismaclst »

Never mind I found out what the issue was. My return section of my sump was staying at the same level but I had my pvc tube next to the return pump. I moved it further away and it fixed what I thought was an issue with the water level expansion :oops: Weird because I had it there for awhile and had no issues until now.
Ismaclst

Post by Ismaclst »

I thought I had it figured out but its still doing the same thing. I'm pretty sure its not the reef angel because if I shut off my return the overflow and return chamber stay at at constant %. So it's either my Jebao dct 6000 pump not running consistently or my drain. I'm using a durso standpipe but I don't think its that because it's not creating a full siphon. I did notice that the level in my overflow does fluctuate a little. Any ideas if its my pump or durso standpipe?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

My durso moves up and day slightly. I think it's normal. If it's filling filling filling then flushing, then you've got to open the airline on top.
Ismaclst

Post by Ismaclst »

It's not doing that. Actually I just have a 1/4" hole and no piece of airline at the moment. I just don't know if my dc return pump is running at a constant speed or if my durso is causing the issue. I don't have the pump controlled by the RA since it can't be.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Yeah either way with an airline or hole, my durso fluctuates. As long as its not flushing I'd say normal.
Ismaclst

Post by Ismaclst »

Could it be possible that my return section of my sump is too small? It's 16"D X 5 1/2"W X 6"H. I was thinking if the return pump wasn't running consistently, that it was cause my return section to fluctuate being that it is kinda small. Right now I have the normal operating level at 37% and have it turn on the ato pump when it gets down to 36% and back off at 38%. Since it goes from 36 to 39% in matter of seconds, should I increase the percent of when it turns off and on?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Is the overflow level changing or the return pump section? I'm confused now. I think the durso level changing is normal. The return pump level is changing from 36 to 39 in a matter of seconds?
Ismaclst

Post by Ismaclst »

According to the RA both are. I can visually see the overflow changing. I'm not to sure about the return, its harder to tell. Yeah like right now it goes from 40 to 41 constantly and every now and then (about 10 seconds) it will hit 39 and 42.
Ismaclst

Post by Ismaclst »

lnevo

Post by lnevo »

And your durso is doing that too? I would say your not getting good flow in the durso if thats happening. Definitely not normal. My durso changes but very slowly, not noticable at all. I would say try sticking the airline in and adjusting till thats gone, drilling a bigger hole or adding. I doubt the return pump would fluctuate that much on its own.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Maybe it is the pump, because my return looks the same, except mine travels much more. I think it travels about 3/4".
But I also adjust the speed, that's why I'm not so sure.
Roberto.
Ismaclst

Post by Ismaclst »

Yeah my durso does it too. I will try the airline or drilling a bigger hole. I'm going to try another non-DC pump to see if it is the pump itself.
Ismaclst

Post by Ismaclst »

Ok, I drilled another 1/4" hole and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the suggestion.