questions about connecting my lights

Expansion modules and attachments
MDB1029

Re: questions about connecting my lights

Post by MDB1029 »

one last question. The ELN drivers one has i think 650 mA going to 2 parallel strings and the other was something like 1200 mA also to 2 parallel strings. If i use 1 650 ma LDD per string and 1 1000 mA LDD per the other strings, neither parallel, The LDDs will give more power to the strings of diodes than the ELNs were since the ELNs were splitting the amperage, right? So each string before would have had around 325 and 600 mA and now they would have 650 and 1000? I am just not sure i understand this all properly. More of a clarification i guess.

And Happy Easter by the way!
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Happy Easter to you, too.

That sounds correct. Assuming your parallel strings were identical, they would split the amperage 50/50. You'll end up with more brightness using the LDD's as you have described. You'll definitely need to acclimate. There's code around here somewhere that can do that automatically.

--Colin
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

Thank you, i really appreciate all your help.
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

cosmith71 wrote: That sounds correct. Assuming your parallel strings were identical, they would split the amperage 50/50. You'll end up with more brightness using the LDD's as you have described. You'll definitely need to acclimate. There's code around here somewhere that can do that automatically.

--Colin
If the original PWM dimming from the relay is 0-10v and LDD drivers are 0-5v, could i run 2 LDDs off of one 0-10v signal or does it not work that way and i would just need to have the dimming expansion for the LDDs to work?
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

You can run multiple LDD drivers off of a single dimming port.
It's not going to divide the dimming voltage in half. the drives will still get 1-10v.
If you have a new dimming modules you can open it up and change the jumpers inside to be 0-5 rather than 0-10v
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

Sacohen wrote:You can run multiple LDD drivers off of a single dimming port.
It's not going to divide the dimming voltage in half. the drives will still get 1-10v.
If you have a new dimming modules you can open it up and change the jumpers inside to be 0-5 rather than 0-10v
I don't have a dimming port yet and am wanting to hook my LDDs up in place of my ELNs because the ELNs are running parallel strands and I have enough LDDs to run single strands which will bring the power up on my lights. I am just being impatient waiting on funds for the dimming mod and was looking for a work around because I know the ELNs are not giving enough light for my coral.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I believe that the newer relays have the 0-5V jumper in them too.
How old is you unit?

Either way the PWM port is just giving the lights a "percentage" to run at, it is not actually supplying power to the light.

You can set the port to run no more than 50% and that will be 5v or the max of your LDD driver.
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

I bought the unit and installed it last week. It is brand new, not used.

I don't know a lot about the electrical side of things, I have been told LDDs have 0-5v signal and the ELNs i currently have are 0-10v. I have no idea what would happen if the LDDs got 5.1-10v. And I am willing to change a jumper in the relay but i don't want to open it up unless i know for sure there is one in there to change it.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

There is no danger in opening it up (as long as it's unplugged) You won't void the warranty unless you try to modify it.
I'm 99% sure I remember Roberto saying that the jumpers were added to the relay as well.

This is the way it looks on the dimming module.

rimai

Post by rimai »

Only the dimming module can output 0-5V.
If you want to send it back, I can change it to 0-5V PWM so you can hookup the LDDs straight into the relay box.
PM me if you want to go this route instead of getting the dimming module.
Roberto.
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

Ultimately I will get the dimming module as soon as funds become available. It just seems my coral are unhappy with the amount of light they are getting currently and the LDDs should provide more power per string.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Roberto;

I'm sorry. I thought I read in another thread that you have added that feature to the dimming ports on the relay.
Sorry if I was wrong. I don't like giving out incorrect information.
MDB1029

Post by MDB1029 »

Sacohen wrote:Roberto;

I'm sorry. I thought I read in another thread that you have added that feature to the dimming ports on the relay.
Sorry if I was wrong. I don't like giving out incorrect information.
No worries. I'm just trying to figure out a way to get my lights working the way I want them as soon as possible.

I appreciate the offer to change the relay signal, Roberto, but I it isn't necessary. It shouldn't be long before I can get the dimming mod.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yeah, there is a way to change the signal pwm to analog or vice versa, but not the voltage.
Roberto.