Expansion module power consumption

Expansion modules and attachments
joshlawless

Expansion module power consumption

Post by joshlawless »

As I look over all the 12V hardware in my aquarium stand, it occurs to me that connecting numerous devices to separate 12V power adapters may not be the most efficient approach. While some devices certainly need to be on their own relays, and exceed the power capacity of Power Control Expansion (e.g., ozone generator, cursed FlowWolf, etc.), others don't need controllable power, and could all be connected to a single high-efficiency 12V power source.

On Amazon, I see a variety of similar barrel plug daisy chain devices, which adapt a single male barrel plug (like those on the 12V wall warts included with various expansion modules) to multiple plugs.

It seems like connecting a single, sufficiently powerful 12V adapter to all of the expansion boxes (e.g., the ORP expansion, the salinity expansion, the I/O expansion, and the two 16-channel dimming expansions in my setup) would solve some wall wart clutter, and possibly reduce the vampire power draw of these devices.

So my question is, what is the power draw of these various devices? I assume that the included wall warts are sized so generously that I could get away with less than 5x their rated power, but I'd like to be sure. Does anyone know the actual draw? Would it pose a problem for the resistive heating of the daisy chain cable?

Any input is most welcome!
rimai

Re: Expansion module power consumption

Post by rimai »

You can do that on the dimming modules and I/O, but leave the ORP and salinity on their own power supply or you will have problems with ground loop.
Roberto.
joshlawless

Post by joshlawless »

For posterity, and in case I go shopping on your expansion module page again (always tempting), are there any others that would be best to keep on a separate adapter? I'm going to guess the pH expansion based on its having a barrel-connected probe like the salinity and ORP. Are the other 12V expansions okay to gang up like this (e.g., the lunar hub, the power control module, the rope leak detector, etc. etc.)?

Also, roughly what kind of power would each gangable module consume (so we can add up the totals and buy the appropriate power supply)?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Correct pH. The others can be plugged into the same power adapter.
Roberto.